Discovered by accident in 2009, the spawning of the Jewel Anemones must surely be considered one of the greatest annual wildlife events you can observe as a scuba diver in New Zealand waters.

For two consecutive years I have had the special privilege of capturing the action.

This is the first time I've ever put a video together - that was a fun learning curve! Please feel welcome to share your feedback.

https://vimeo.com/133317564

Edited by Alison Perkins
  • Like 3

Beautiful Shots in there Alison! Good job.

Edited by Oceanshutter
  • Like 1

Lovely video Alison.

Have you managed to pinpoint the timing, or is it a matter of a lot of night dives at a particular moon phase in winter? I'm interested to see if the Tasmanian species follow a similar timing.

Also, watching your video made me notice we share a surname! Maybe along lost diving relative?!?

• Like 1

No night diving required. The anemones spawn during the day - much more convenient! :-)

Shane from Northland Dive has become extremely adept at nailing the timing for the spawning on the ex-HMNZS Canterbury. It may not be so easy to extrapolate that to other sites as it seems you do need to sync in with the tide pretty closely, and that varies everywhere.

Well worth a try though. Do you see the Tasmanian species of anemones filling up with eggs/sperm through autumn?

Sponsors

Advertisements