Have recently had 4 of my Sea & Sea Strobes fail over a 3 month period. Has anyone else had similar issues with the YS-D1 strobes?

Symtoms are , ready light active but failure to flash when charged .

All 4 have since been returned to Sea & sea but I would caution anyone about buying in the future as the fault has still not been identified by Sea & sea service centre in Japan

Edited by venomguy

That's very strange, 4 strobes in 3 months... I never heard about this problem among YS-D1 users.

My 2 YS-D1 work perfectly since 2 years.

Are you absolutely sure that there was no problem with the connection between camera/housing and the strobes ???

Re : strobe connections.

The strobes have only be used in Optical Triger modes,

Symptoms are you can still hear the capacitor charging up but strobes cannot fire in optical or Electronic sync cords.

Each of the strobes mentioned that failed were about 50 to 60 dives and failed randomly , ie in a twin lighting setup , triggered optically , in TTL mode, only one of the strobes would fail during any one dive,

Did you try to fire them in manual mode and not in TTL ? Is there any light at the extremity of your optical fiber when firing ?

I bought a pair about 12 months ago. No problems to date. Before I bought them, I did much research and vaguely recall reading that there was some problems with early production units, but that these problems were addressed and solved by S&S. Some units needed to be returned for repairs. You may be able to find info on WP or other places.

I bought my YSD1s through Bluewater Photo in CA and were assured that they were current production models. No problems after about 100 dives.

Your camera housings strobe reflectors, use the shiny side of ally foil wrap it around them and try it.

I've had mine for a couple of years. No issues, except th case of operator error. I typically use the optical cables, too, and they're typically reliable. I have, on occasion, failed to turn on the camera strobe; inserted batteries incorrectly; inserted the cables incorrectly (e.g., on a YS-01); had a second strobe set incorrectly to slave, and finally, had the cables incorrectly set up. We live. We learn. Good luck.

What housing are you using? I ask this as I had a problem with my YS-D1's whilst using an Nauticam NA-NEX6 housing. It transpired the flash pop up up lever was holding the flash down and preventing them firing via fibre optic. Fixed by UK importer Underwater Visions.

There can be a problem with charging the batteries. What batteries do you use and most important what charger ? If the batteries are not charged equally to the same level then there can be issues similar to yours. Make sure you use a charger that has a voltage monitoring system such as :

http://www.amazon.com/Ansmann-1001-0006-US-590-1-Powerline-Battery-batteries/dp/B00V2YFXT6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1438588264&sr=8-18&keywords=multiple+battery+charger+for+AA

or

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Auto-detect-Intelligent-Battery-protection/dp/B00ZYTX93M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438588245&sr=8-3&keywords=multiple+battery+charger+for+AA

Diggy

I would suspect (they charge but don't fire) that it is the fiber cable. Take the camera out of the housing and aim the on-camera flash at the front of the strobe. Hard to believe that s&s japan didn't say they were either ok or broken and replace them. What did S&S say.

Bill

What i meant Bill is that i had a similar problem, albeit with Z240's and two were replaced. The strobes show that they are charging but the flash wont fire.. The focus light works. Inon replaced the strobes for me BUT they never reveal the problem ! The supplier though shared what Inon wrote to them and here is what they said :

When the camera battery is low , the trigger signal from camera is not recognized on Z240 strobe, Z240 recongnize it as "noise" And it cause some circuit trouble which affects the flash tube not being able to fire.
Therefore i shared this as the DS1 also use external batteries.
Diggy

Sponsors

Advertisements