Sign in to follow this  
folivier1

OMD-EM1 using lcd screen or viewfinder?

For those of you who are using either of these Olympus, OMD-EM1 or EPL-*, I have a couple questions. In the past I started with a Nik 5, then eventually up to a Subal with Canon 5D2. Sold everything because of medical reasons but just cleared to start diving again.

I currently have an EM1 and am considering probably a Nauticam with 8mm FE and 60mm macro. My other option would be a EPL-7 with the same lenses which would be a bit smaller system.

My question is since the EPL-* does not have a viewfinder and the EM1 does: do you feel that the viewfinder is a necessity? Or is the lcd screen good enough for composing and focus accuracy?

As I'm aging I find that I'm not as flexible as I once was especially in my neck so I'm thinking it may be easier to use the screen rather than the viewfinder. But only if the screen is good enough.

Also is the focus speed on the EPL-* as fast as the EM1?

Thanks!

Viewfinder is essential for me as my eyes close focus gets worse. I had a EM1 my wife was using and I had an EPL7 but had to sell it to get an EM10 for the viewfinder. Good thing about the OMDs is ability to play back photos and film video via viewfinder.

Using the EM10 as well - in a Nauticam with the stock viewfinder. I really like the flexibility of having both. My close vision is also starting to slip, so the viewfinder very helpful with that. I also find myself using the viewfinder more often to check focus on macro. For wide angle, the lcd seems to work well. I have enabled the super control panel for changing settings. Even though the SCP works fine in the viewfinder, I have to rely on the lcd for that, since the setup is so compact I can't have it up to my face and have room to manipulate the SCP. Maybe more practice. The way that the EM10 sits in the Nauticam, the lcd is tilted back a little. I find this very useful if trying to shoot into more crevice-type areas (holding the housing more at arms' length).

I have the EM5, and as Brian wrote, it is good to have both options. My primary choice is the viewfinder, but having a tilted LCD for those bizzare angles works nice, even though it feels somehow wrong to frame using the LCD. Just a feeling. :)

I've got an e-m5 in a Nauticam housing. I use the EVF for macro and the lcd screen for wide angle. I like the lcd for wide angle due to being able to watch the whole scene around me without the "tunnel vision" of the EVF. For macro, I find that I can focus better on the small things through the EVF.

With Nauticam housing, the viewfinder is very easy to see through. I've heard that the Olympus housing is not a viewfinder friendly.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements