Hi, I have recently bought a Nauticam housing for an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II. There do not seem to be any sacrificial anodes on the housing and I would like to know if anyone has augmented their housing with sacrificial anodes and if so how they went about it.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

Although I don't use a Nauticam, I'm on my fifth aluminium housing (all Subals) and none of them have had anodes. I have never had a problem which I could identify as sacrificial anode or galvanic action related.

The only thing that has cropped up was I had problems once getting a Heinrich Weikamp TTL adapter plug off a strobe bulkhead. I thought that had managed to weld itself. But it was more than likely my fault rather than some form of galvanic action as I probably hadn't removed it and rinsed it often enough. I was diving pretty much every day for a year....

If you really wanted to do it I'm sure you could screw one where the tray would normally fit - assuming you're not using a tray.

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1

I'm on my third housing, second Subal. I have always attached about 2-3 sq inches of zinc to the housing and have never encountered any problems with corrosion or tight screws after a 16 day dive trip.

• Like 1

my nauticam housing for the omd em5 mark 1 has an anode.

• Like 1

Folks, thanks for the replies. As it happens, I found 2 sacrificial anodes under the housing, woops!

A friend however has a Nauticam housing for an Olympus OM-D E-M1 and he has experienced corrosion

on a screw on top of the housing, so the anodes do not provide absolute protection I guess.

He is now coating all steel/aluminium interfaces (screws) with lanolin (sheep's wool grease) as he has

done on previous housings that he has owned with great success.

Brian

Nice find, Brian!

The lanolin is an interesting idea.

After my experience with the jammed Weikamp, I put some sticky blue gunk (given to me by a guest at the dive operation I was running at the time) on the threads. This too did the trick - although if you got too much on your fingers you spent most of the day looking like some wannabe Smurf. But i have no idea what it was - other than sticky-blue, Smurf-inducing gunk.

Enjoy the housing. On a recent Red Sea liveaboard I did a fellow guest had one - it looked pretty good and he was delighted with it.

Duralac

That's the Smurfy blue stuff, Alex? Oh yeah...

Uses

Duralac is indispensable for the sealing of joints between dissimilar metals of all types including magnesium and its alloys. It is also valuable for the protection of metals in contact with wood, synthetic resin compositions, leather, rubber, fabrics etc.

When the components of a structure are of different materials, it is essential that the points or faces of contact should be treated with corrosion inhibiting materials because in the presence of electrolytes considerable differences of potential arise, not only where different metals are in contact, but also where components of the same metal under different stresses are in contact: for example as between the aluminium alloy plates or extrusions and rivets or bolts used in building up the structure, in industrial areas where structures are exposed, in flue ducts and acidic vapours.

In close proximity to the sea where a salt laden atmosphere will be met with, structures will need the maximum attention to prevent corrosion due to the electrolytic cells set up by the salt laden moisture deposited upon the structure.

Wicked! Many thanks for that! Now I know.... :dancing: It sure did the trick. Messy stuff though but definitely worth it if you are leaving stuff plugged/screwed together for long periods.

• Like 1

I use Tef-Gel on the threads of my Subal housings and do not have problems with dissimilar metals fusing.

My housings are without sacrificial zinc anodes.

Elmer

Thanks Alex and Elmer - I'll order some. Useful stuff!

Thanks folks, Alex especially. I am off to get some Duralac, to be sure, to be sure.

Brian

info on Tef-Gel:

The function of Tef-Gel is to stop electrolytes from entering the interface of metallic surfaces.

Tef-Gel can achieve this protection because it contains no silicones, petroleum solvents or volatile solvents, which would evaporate and leave voids. What it does contain is PTFE powder, which actually comprises 40% of Tef-Gel. This means when both surfaces are coated and mated with Tef-Gel, there are no voids for electrolytes, like saltwater, to be drawn in over extended periods of time. No voids eliminates the chance of dissimilar metal corrosion.

Tef-Gel is NSF rated, allowing its use with manufacturers in the food and beverage industry.

Tef-Gel has no expiration date, and will not dry out or crack. It will, however, remain the same consistency until you need to remove it. Tef-Gel can withstand a consistent high temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Although it can be easily cleaned up with mineral spirits, it is impervious to water, detergents and many harsh chemicals.

Elmer

my nauticam housing for the omd em5 mark 1 has an anode.

Really, where? I have not noticed it on mine, though I didn't think to look for one.

I'll have to get some Tef-Gel and ask for it to be used in the next servicing

Really, where? I have not noticed it on mine, though I didn't think to look for one.

I'll have to get some Tef-Gel and ask for it to be used in the next servicing

Hi troporobo

Using the sort of gel that is Tef-Gel or Duralac isn't, I'd suggest, really a "service" type thing you need to ask for. I found its best use is when you assemble your gear for, say, a longish trip where you aren't going to be taking it apart - perhaps a week on a liveaboard or, like I did, run a dive centre and be diving with a camera a great deal and be too busy (or too lazy!) to take it apart and rinse it all very often. Left screwed together, various metals start to bond. The gels stop that happening.

Perhaps worth keeping a small tube in your spares box. But you sure don't need much.

In that case, the only thing that isn't a permanent part of my housing is the Vivid SS vacuum sensor, but I never take it off anyway.

Dissimilar metals when exposed to salt water will fuse/oxidize over time. So for example, the bolts that hold your handles to your housing will become stuck and you will not be able to unscrew them.

When I get a new housing I unscrew all the fittings and apply Tef-Gel to prevent the screws and bolts from oxidizing to the housing.

Elmer

In that case, the only thing that isn't a permanent part of my housing is the Vivid SS vacuum sensor, but I never take it off anyway.

Could be worth putting a little gel on that though - come to think of it - in case you ever do want to take it off. I may do the same with mine!

You may want to take it off as it is steel and will create corrosion also be careful with the inner screws for the battery replacement

on my housing, the anodes are on the bottom. One on the door and one on the body.

I use lanocote (lanolin) on fasteners that I want to be able to remove later. It works well, but it is like a heavy pasty grease. I worry about it migrating on to optics and orings and places I don't want it.

Sponsors

Advertisements