Timccr

Global shutter

I am wondering whether global shutter is something that would be good to have underwater. When I think about it the dives when big stuff has come whizzing by have not been that often and now that I am based primarily in the Med it is a pretty rare thing. It would be very interesting to know what others think. Thanks

Tim

As mentioned all of the internet since CMOS took over CCDs as the "standard" sensor for the video market, there are a couple usual problems a rolling shutter may have underwater:

1. Strobe light capture can mess up exposure duration, so you get partial frames of different exposures. If you dive alone without "pesky" strobe shooters, it's not a problem.

2. fast movements by camera. Jerky motion like what you'd see on cellphone videos is a rolling shutter issue, but the newer CMOS sensors have reined in that distortion quite while. Since it's not that easy to move the housing that quickly underwater, it's not usually an issue. However, it is possible to induce it if you really try hard. Same for subjects which move very fast. I've used CMOS on bullet like tuna and if there is any RSE, it's negligible.

There are other issues like high gain switch noise effect, but that's usually more for smaller sensors than S35 and more.

As it mainly affects vertical lines, even if it was present in a camera system, it'd not be very obvious underwater, unless doing a pan over a shipwreck.

Regards

Peter

Actually I liked the effect of global shutter. Movement seems different and more natural & pleasing to the eye than rolling shutter. I can't describe it really but there is something good about it. Cinematography is just a hobby for me, so I can't give you a professional answer. Is it a must for underwater, no :)

Here are couple of clips I shot with BMD 4k:

Edited by thani

Thanks guys. Only slow pans on wrecks then. Thani your stuff has suddenly made me want to return to Southern Arabia.

Tim

Sponsors

Advertisements