Draq

Looking for input on adding a viewfinder

My eyesight seems to be giving me some issues and I am considering adding a 45 degree viewfinder to my Nauticam EM1 housing. I do mostly cfwa, moderate wide angle photos and some light macro so I hope the 45 will work...it looks like it would be easier to use than the 180 except when I am on a wall.

One of the big draws to micro four thirds was the compact size of housings and I am a little worried about how well the housing will fit in my current packing methods since for me all diving requires airline travel. Is the viewfinder easily removable for travel or once installed does it pretty much stay on the housing?

Any other suggestions or tips? I don't have a reasonable means of trying one before purchasing.

Edited by Draq

I love mine on my NA-EM1 housing, but it may take a few dives to get adjusted to using it. After that happens you'll be ok. I leave mine attached but yes it can be removed easily. Worth every penny and hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DivingMeCrazy
  • Like 1

Yep, agree, very easy to remove, you just take off one o-ring and it pulls right out. I'm confident you'll love it, especially for the CFWA, so much easier to see everything in the frame. Once I put mine on a few years ago it has never been out of my sight. Will never dive without one again.

My two cents, cheers

Steve

Hi Draq

I don't have a Nauticam housing but like Steve would now never dive/photo without one on my Subal. It was horribly expensive but I think of all the things I have bought for my system, a 45-degree viewfinder has made the greatest difference to my photography. Most definitely worth it.

As Steve and Diving MeCrazy write, certainly on the Subal, they are easy to remove - although the usual slight panic as you try to refit it for the first time. Just take your time (!) - and I can now have mine back on in 2-3 minutes. And I find removal makes a real difference in packing and transporting. It was pretty awkward to pack with the viewfinder fitted. Removed, I pack it inside the housing, wrapped in bubble wrap with the removal tool and the housing o-ring.

For macro they are superb - especially giving you the ability to photo objects very low on the seabed or coral without having to dig a hole to get down below them. For mid-water they take a bit of practice (as Diving MeCrazy says) because of the 45-degree angle. But it's not that difficult. And for general WA or CFWA they are great.

Thank you for the responses. From what I have read, it is still possible to see the lcd with the viewfinder installed. Can anyone elaborate on the ease of using the lcd with viewfinder on, either for composing a shot or just using the "super control panel" ?

Draq,

I currently use a Nauticam 45 viewfinder on my Nauticam housing and LOVE it! It does take some getting used to though….but once you "get it", you won't' do without it. I'm actually switching from a Canon rig to a mirror less rig and am BUMMED that my Nauti 45 viewfinder will not work on the Nauticam EM-5 mark II housing. Therefore, I am selling my VF if you're interested - i have a posting on Wetpixel for it….

Deb

Draq,

I currently use a Nauticam 45 viewfinder on my Nauticam housing and LOVE it! It does take some getting used to though….but once you "get it", you won't' do without it. I'm actually switching from a Canon rig to a mirror less rig and am BUMMED that my Nauti 45 viewfinder will not work on the Nauticam EM-5 mark II housing. Therefore, I am selling my VF if you're interested - i have a posting on Wetpixel for it….

Deb

Do they not make the thicker window for that housing? If so, that's too bad. I love it on my EM-1 housing.

Draq,

Deb

Deb,

I wouldn't be so quick to sell it. The Nauticam writeup for the Mk2 housing mentions using the enhanced viewfinders and optional replacement window.

"Nauticam has crafted an optional rear acrylic display window that includes a mount for installation of Nauticam’s acclaimed 45º and 180º magnified view finders."

Bob W

Hi Deb, You should go to the reef photo.com web site and scroll through the Nauticam items. Past NA-housings for mirrorless cameras have used a replacement window to support the current 45 and 180 degree Nauticam viewfinders like the one you have for your Canon system. An E-M5 window and E-M1/EM-10 windows as well as Sony and Panasonic windows have been released in the past. For anyone interested I have the E-M5 and EM-1/EM-10 windows for sale PM. for info. These windows sold new for $240.00 and discouraged many because of overall cost, $240.00 plus the $990.00 for the 45 viewfinder. With the release of the NA-E-M5II housing a new window ships with the housing that will support the new Nauticam viewfinders for mirrorless housings, this new viewfinder is listed for $950.00. So $950.00 V. $1230.00 for the old system. This is an issue of you can't please all of the people all of the time and if you have the older DSLR style 45 finder you may need to replace it with the new finder.

The E-M1 and 45 degree finder thread below in this form will give you a idea how it will look and the housing and provide further information.

I have extensively used both the E-M1 and E-M5II and still think the E-M1 is a better overall camera.

Edited by Phil Rudin

Phil,

For owners of EM1 housings, would you still have to change the window to use the new MIL view finders? Nauticam's website lists compatibility with EM1/5 housings, but no mention of needing to replace the window.

Hi Deb, You should go to the reef photo.com web site and scroll through the Nauticam items. Past NA-housings for mirrorless cameras have used a replacement window to support the current 45 and 180 degree Nauticam viewfinders like the one you have for your Canon system. An E-M5 window and E-M1/EM-10 windows as well as Sony and Panasonic windows have been released in the past. For anyone interested I have the E-M5 and EM-1/EM-10 windows for sale PM. for info. These windows sold new for $240.00 and discouraged many because of overall cost, $240.00 plus the $990.00 for the 45 viewfinder. With the release of the NA-E-M5II housing a new window ships with the housing that will support the new Nauticam viewfinders for mirrorless housings, this new viewfinder is listed for $950.00. So $950.00 V. $1230.00 for the old system. This is an issue of you can't please all of the people all of the time and if you have the older DSLR style 45 finder you may need to replace it with the new finder.

The E-M1 and 45 degree finder thread below in this form will give you a idea how it will look and the housing and provide further information.

I have extensively used both the E-M1 and E-M5II and still think the E-M1 is a better overall camera.

I am not Phil but I happened to talk to Reef/Nauticam today. I was told that the new MIL viewfinder does not require a new LCD window to be used on the EM1 housing, but that the viewfinder does not mount very securely and "wobbles" when attached and at the moment, Reef is suggesting prospective purchasers consider using the DSLR viewfinder and the required replacement window instead. Going forward, the EM1 housings will have some sort of steel insert so the viewfinder mounts more securely, but at least for now, older housings are not going to be able to have the new design retrofitted.

I have concerns about whether the DSLR viewfinders will be usable on future MIL housings so I am going to wait a bit and let this situation sort itself out before I spend the cash. I am not going to be diving for a couple months anyway.

Hope that is helpful.

Edited by Draq

Sponsors

Advertisements