Ahmed Yahya

how to DIY strobe floats from styrofoam ?

I simply cut lengths of pool noodles for mine, and it works well. I used enough that the rig is positive at the surface, fairly neutral around 15', and is negative at 30'+. I know my camera will never run away from me UW but if I drop it off a boat in deep water it's not going anywhere!

They're cheap and you'll have to replace them every so often as the foam does permanently crush some after every deep dive, but you can't beat the price. :)

Personally, I used two empty 500ml water bottles which my husband suggested for my DS161s. Upon entry into the water, I would fill them with water for the descent, and then turn them upside down and fill them with air using my regulator. It was very easy to regulate the amount of air needed: too much air, squeeze the bottle a little until a few bubbles come out; not enough, flow some more into the bottle with the regulator. This worked really well for getting the strobes completely neutral for free while reusing the plastic bottles and adding no weight when the kit wasn't in the water. It does look kind of silly, but hey, it worked...

Sponsors

Advertisements