Edward Lai

Testing Panasonic 14-42mm with Wet Wide Lens

We received some inquiry recently about whether there is a possible solution for using a wet wide lens with the Panasonic and/or Olympus 14-42mm lenses, and I would like to share some photos I shot with a prototype wet wide lens during a test we carried out in May this year. When working with the 14mm end of the lens the FOV was 120° then and we were able to increase it to 130° now.

The entire gallery is here: https://nauticam.smugmug.com/HousingTests/NA-EM5II/

P5110234-L.jpg

P5110271-L.jpg

P5110252-L.jpg

Edited by Edward Lai

Edward what ports have been used in your test for the 14-42 is this the power zoom lens? The lens provided as kit lens for the new cameras in Europe and U.S. Is the new mark II and fits in the macro 35 port this lens is superior to the power zoom version and to the Olympus 14/42, I have used this lens with a 3D printed zoom gear on the Panasonic GX7 with Inon UWL-H100. Performance is good in terms of sharpness similar to Olympus 9-18 but chromatic aberration is not good. Your lens seems better looking at your examples. One good feature with Inon is that you can zoom through the lens and use it at all focal lengths. I already mentioned to Alex tattersall that you should produce a zoom gear for the Panasonic 14-42 mega ois mark II, this is a fine lens currently not in your port chart and is the best candidate for wet lenses especially for video due to the zoom through support

Edited by Interceptor121

Hi Interceptor,

I used the PZ Panasonic 14-42 with a flat port shortened to 29mm. The macro 35 port will fit very well with the new Panasonic 14-42 mark II, and our zoom gear will be shipping soon. I look forward to sending you our lens in less than 2 weeks so that you can experience various aspect of this lens personally (sharpness, contrast, close focus and lack of CA/distortion etc.). Zooming through the lens is no problem.

Would it be fine to send the lens to Alex T and let him arrange local delivery?

Edward

Of course you can send to Alex. Last time we tried to send my lens on loan for developing prototype gear but it was too late so I had to buy 3D print. Is it possible also to remove the dome from the lens? For video I prefer rectilinear image and also makes it possible to install push on filters. Maybe we can discuss this after I see how the lens is built

Edited by Interceptor121

Sponsors

Advertisements