Dan Jones

Tulamben Trip 2015

G'day all,

I recently came back from a trip to Indonesia and thought I'd share a video I've just finished. Most of the shots are from around the liberty wreck with a few trips further down the coast towards Amed. I'm fairly new to shooting underwater but it's quickly become an obsession that I can't get enough of, hopefully next year I'll be able to fork out for a proper camera/housing. I really love getting into macro.

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vgg_dkGBk

Edited by Dan Jones

If this was all shot on GoPro then I want to learn how you do it. What did you use for lighting and why is there such strong vignetting along the edges and corners. Did you use a wet-lens for the close-up shots?

Bart

G'day Bart,

Yeah all shot on an old Gopro 3. The quality isn't great but it was really quite fun and simple shooting.

I used a simple U frame to mount the Gopro. To that I had a Sola 2000 light attached on a flex line. I mounted a cheap Gorilla Pod plastic tripod to get steady shots with the MacroMate lens from backscatter.

I found I lost a lot of good shots due to the Gopro being full auto. It would bump up the exposure when I shot against the dark substrate. The Spot metering I found worked sometimes but I gave up on it as the settings are a pain to navigate through.

I edited in the vignette for a couple reasons. The corner sharpness was very poor (not that the video is sharp at all), I found adding a vignette added some more feeling, bring more attention to the subject, solved corner sharpness and helped some of the shots blend better. I know some people don't like vignettes on video but its seemed better to my eye than without.

I'd really like to try out the manual setting on the 4, I feel it would perform much better with lighting. But I think I will wait for the Gopro 5 or perhaps save some cash for a real setup.

Edited by Dan Jones

Sponsors

Advertisements