wydeangle

Light & Motion: really bad service

I have two Sola 4000 lights which were giving decreasing burn times.

I e-mailed Light & Motion (L&M) asking about replacement batteries and was told the Sola 4000 lights are obsolete and no more batteries or printed circuit boards are available.

They then offered a trade-in against their new 8000 lumen light. I asked if I could trade both 4000s on one 8000 and was told OK you can do that, so I shipped the lights, chargers and filters to them.

When my lights arrived at L&M I got a phone call saying they would not trade two lights against one - a major disappointment; they would see what they could do about repairing the 4000s at no charge. So I said if you can't do the trade you promised, I need the 4000s back by next Saturday the 22nd to take on a dive trip. They shipped the lights on the 14th as near as I can tell from their e-mails. The 4000s arrived two days after I left town, on the 24th.

These are at least two really unnerving "don't care" or "can't figure out how to do customer service" errors stacked together. In addition, every time I replied to an e-mail, I received back their trade-in letter in triplicate, sometimes addressed to me, most times to someone else; a heavy confusion factor from what seems to be a broken web site.

Since I had similar problems last year with faulty service on housings, I quit. No more L&M for me. I started with their Stingray housing in the 90s, so this isn't a short-term decision.

Had to be said.

End of rant.

Tom

Edited by wydeangle

I has a similar situation with LM, but did not think it was bad service, not great, but not bad. I have a sola 1200 for 23 months. They honored the warranty and said they would replace the internals of the unit, but the circuit board was back ordered and will be ready in 6 weeks. I said I am going a way and need it on the 6th week, they said they would put me first on the list to be repaired, but no guarantee. They told me this after I shipped the light. I was not happy that I sent the light in with plenty of time to be repaired and returned in time for my trip. If I knew there would have been any issue, i would have repaired the light when i get home, dealt with my lights issue and would have not sent it in for repair. The light was returned 2 days prior to my trip. So all was settled, but I was nervous and prepared to borrow a friends lights.

If I need to buy a new light in the future, i will not buy a non replaceable battery light.

I really don't know why so many people use L&M light. When I first shopping for video light, I looked around and the L&M is normally 2X the price of those China light like Archon. I took the gamble and bought those China light and haven't had a problem for 3 years. Am I missing something with L&M? From what I read, sometimes the lumen rating of the China brand is not 1:1 to those like in L&M, but it shouldn't be off more than 25%.

I'm tempted to save and invest in a Keldan light, but then I keep asking myself what my existing cheap light can't do and fulfill my need? Once in a while I get caught up by the idea that the "brand is the industry standard".....

which light do you have? I bought the lm light because I liked the very even light spread and compact size.

I really don't know why so many people use L&M light. When I first shopping for video light, I looked around and the L&M is normally 2X the price of those China light like Archon. I took the gamble and bought those China light and haven't had a problem for 3 years. Am I missing something with L&M? From what I read, sometimes the lumen rating of the China brand is not 1:1 to those like in L&M, but it shouldn't be off more than 25%.

I'm tempted to save and invest in a Keldan light, but then I keep asking myself what my existing cheap light can't do and fulfill my need? Once in a while I get caught up by the idea that the "brand is the industry standard".....

Its the color rendition index (CRI) you are paying Keldan for....

as an example:

cri_practical_example.png

My first light is the "Archon D32vr".(US$190) It's a twist type light. Then more China company make improvement and have the button switch type. So my 2nd light is the "x Adventure M2000" (US$250). You can shop in eBay. They're mostly ship from China or Hong Kong.

I shot this night dive video with the M2000 on the low setting, plenty of light to light up the area even on low setting. The spread angle is good and soft edge.

I don't use light during the day, only using ambient light with white balance during day dive.

Thanks Richard, I think if the application is for commercial reason, then the Keldan probably is justifiable, most people won't even know CRI. The price tag of the Keldan further confirm that it's not for most consumers. I consider myself advance hobbyist at this point and spend the money on dive trip instead :dancing:

Thanks Richard, I think if the application is for commercial reason, then the Keldan probably is justifiable, most people won't even know CRI. The price tag of the Keldan further confirm that it's not for most consumers. I consider myself advance hobbyist at this point and spend the money on dive trip instead :dancing:

I had the opportunity to buy a "like new" pair of Luna 8 CRI lights at a very low price so I gave away my two FishEye Aquavolt 3500 light. I was very satisfied with them and I've been always very skepticla about "industry standard" and CRI advantage.

I was wrong.

Maybe the final result of my videos before/after Keldan it's the same but I spend 1/10 of the time doing CC hence yes Cri 90 keldan lights rocks!

PS

Neverthless I couldn't have afford a pair of them brand new.

Edited by Davide DB
  • Like 1

Yeah, I can see the difference:

But damn it, the price! I wonder what make the high CRI light so expensive, even light for land use! May be it's just one of those things like OLED TV, that will never get to general public's hand for a very very long time!

• Like 1

But damn it, the price! I wonder what make the high CRI light so expensive, even light for land use! May be it's just one of those things like OLED TV, that will never get to general public's hand for a very very long time!

Looking at the raw led prices, difference between high and low CRI is negligible but form a marketing POV its' another story.

That video about CRI is useless because they don't white balance the neutral areas to match between shots. Of course there's a "huge shift towards the green"... because they haven't white balanced it! There is no mention of the white balance technique. Also I can't understand why they don't show the actual lights being used.

Sponsors

Advertisements