thetrickster

ReelSteady - Post Diving Stabilisation

Just seen this:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/08/28/reelsteady-for-after-effects-is-warp-stabiliser-on-steroids-plus-can-it-cure-rolling-shutter/

https://player.vimeo.com/video/136548672

I was waiting for the steadxp thing to be released - but boy, does this look amazing!!! Might have to use my Adobe CC subscription and having a play with AfterEffects and this plugin. It is however $399 - but if it works, might have to be worth it!!

• Like 1

Another reason to shoot 4K, so there is plenty of pixel to crop for 2.7K output if needed.

Yeah I hear you, I think the SteadXP is dead because handheld gimbal is taking over and most land people don't see the need of post stabilization unless it's for extreme sport.

So I've downloaded AfterEffects CC2014 (luckily with a CC account, you can still use old versions of the Cloud software) and the demo of ReelSteady - apart from not having any idea how to use AfterEffects nor the plugin - I got it working. AfterEffects is horridly slow on my Mac mind.

Will try and get in the pool with the 7-14mm this week, but with a quick test with my old GoPro2 and the builtin presets for 1080 Wide - Its not quite as good as I had hoped, will post up an example later today....

The SteadXP thing, I really thought would be a killer tool, but see it never getting off the ground - its been over a year and nothing.

Looks great! Any idea how many % of the footage is lose due to cropping? How's the processing time? Is it taking twice as long as Warp stabilizer?

Not sure on crop, but its doing a lot of de-fisheyeing at the same time - so not all the crop is down to the stabilisation.

Looks like its using around 85% (you are losing 15%) of the frame (see attachment) - But I presume if the motion is a lot less, the crop won't be so heavy.

As to processing time - I've only got it on my travel Air 11" at the moment - and AfterEffects is AWFUL, FCPX runs Butterly smooth on it, yet AfterEffects can't even preview without dropping frames.

I get a feeling from reading how this works, it won't be a universal plugin (Premier, FCPX, Motion etc...), as its using the builtin AfterEffects motion tracking to perform the stabilisation. So might mean round-tripping to AfterEffects :(

But it took around 14mins (roughly) to render that 11second (497 frames) clip on my Air. Minute per second of footage say? Ouch.

Haven't got around to running it on my i7 MacBookPro with more ram and a proper GPU, but if its anything like NeatVideo, unless you have a CUDA enabled card, and a decent one at that, its gonna be slow.

Will have to see/understand where I would run this in my editing flow, I presume on a per clip basis.

post-43742-0-55030400-1441698430_thumb.jpg

Thanks Richard, I might have to give it a try soon. I will be out shooting Goliath Grouper at Florida end of this month, that will give me some real 4K clips to play with. I have an i7 desktop with Geforce 750Ti, so it has CUDA. I'm considering getting a laptop with CUDA GPU, but those are mostly for gaming and super heavy to travel with. Looks like I will have to start learning AfterEffect.

Sponsors

Advertisements