SMY

upgrade from GH4 to D750?

Until now I used my Panasonic GH4 in Nauticam housing and mostly with 7-14. The main reason, why I bought this was, that I formerly took videos and stills. Nowadays I shoot only stills and so I bought for shooting on land a Nikon D750 which I like very much and the additional weight is ok for me.

Due to the additional housing and lens costs I hesitate a little bit to use the D750 underwater, my lens I have in mind would be the 14-24 2.8 from Nikon and the Nauticam housing with 8.5 Port (I would have liked the 200 Zen, but probably to small? 230 Zen is too big for me.

Is the benefit of the D750 combination a big step forward? Any ideas/comments welcome!

Regards, Sascha

sorry, I forgot, the Nikon 17-35 is an option, too.

Hi Sascha,

the Nikon 750D is certainly the better camera for stills that the GH4.

I use the Sigma 15mm diagonal fisheye with my D800 and i am very pleased with the results and i personally don't feel the need to zoom in as i can crop it afterwards.

Zoom lenses are generally problematic to house and in most cases you need a very big dome to avoid soft corners.

Regarding your lens choice:

1° The Nikon 14-24mm is (even as it is a huge and heavy "prime lens) not such a very good underwater and it can be hard to find a dome for it

2° The Nikon 17-35mm is a excellent lens, extremely sharp lens, but very difficult to put behind a dome

The Nikon 18-35mm and the cheaper 16-35mm VR are also a excellent lenses, but both difficult to put behind a dome

I suggest you strongly to get a housing with a vacuum leak detector and alarm as this systems reduce greatly the possibility of flooding your camera.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Sponsors

Advertisements