l.babcock

Small camera for video and pics

Hey guys,I'm looking for a small camera that will take good video,macro and wide angle any good suggestions? right now I have canon ghf20 video camera and a nikon d80 for stills. I would like to use one camera that can do both in a small platform. Does it exist?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

You will have to be more specific about what do you mean by good video. Canon take good picture both on land and underwater, but if you want 4K for video then forget about Canon. Sony is pretty good, but their camera mostly likely would have custom white balance error, and their short zoom range make it a decent macro.

The Sony RX100 Mark II scores well on still images especially wide angle and HD movies. The newer cameras have lenses with 24-70mm zoom that are more problematic and in most cases require a port system like ILC cameras

Some shots with the RX100 Mark II and a video link to give an idea

14348393288_b9a20d6a77_b.jpgMermaid Kat I by Interceptor121, on Flickr

14511824796_f2d155f8b7_b.jpgLook Right in by Interceptor121, on Flickr

14531533501_bd00ac351c_b.jpgMotorbike in Hold 2 by Interceptor121, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/-zhv3XfhE9E

Hi Babcock,

You might want to have a look at the Canon GX7 and the Sony RX100, they are both small cameras with the option for taking great stills and videos underwater. In the last few years I think it is safe to say that these cameras have been some of the most popular compacts for underwater photography.

The Canon will have better white balance which is vital for video but if you're a pixel peeper then the Sony RX100 might be a better option for you.

Either way you will have a lot of fun with them and you will be able to make some amazing imagery!

Equally, or even more important are the lights and diopters, make sure you get some great quality video lights and a top quality diopter (like the nautical CMC) and it will make a world of difference!

We will be looking forward to seeing some pictures on the forum soon!

Sincerely,

Morten

The Sony RX100 Mark II scores well on still images especially wide angle and HD movies. The newer cameras have lenses with 24-70mm zoom that are more problematic and in most cases require a port system like ILC cameras

Some shots with the RX100 Mark II and a video link to give an idea

14348393288_b9a20d6a77_b.jpgMermaid Kat I by Interceptor121, on Flickr

14511824796_f2d155f8b7_b.jpgLook Right in by Interceptor121, on Flickr

14531533501_bd00ac351c_b.jpgMotorbike in Hold 2 by Interceptor121, on Flickr

Nice, it looks good, maybe that's the path I need to take

Hi Babcock,

You might want to have a look at the Canon GX7 and the Sony RX100, they are both small cameras with the option for taking great stills and videos underwater. In the last few years I think it is safe to say that these cameras have been some of the most popular compacts for underwater photography.

The Canon will have better white balance which is vital for video but if you're a pixel peeper then the Sony RX100 might be a better option for you.

Either way you will have a lot of fun with them and you will be able to make some amazing imagery!

Equally, or even more important are the lights and diopters, make sure you get some great quality video lights and a top quality diopter (like the nautical CMC) and it will make a world of difference!

We will be looking forward to seeing some pictures on the forum soon!

Sincerely,

Morten

Thanks Morten, will the video with gx7 or rx100 be as good as my canon HD video camera HF g20?

I don't want to loose quality any less then I have now with my Canon HF G20

You will have to be more specific about what do you mean by good video. Canon take good picture both on land and underwater, but if you want 4K for video then forget about Canon. Sony is pretty good, but their camera mostly likely would have custom white balance error, and their short zoom range make it a decent macro.

I want the video to look as good as my Canon HF G20 HD video camera. I would need manual WB

Hi Babcock,

Since I never shot with the Vixia HF G20 myself it is hard for me to compare the two, they are completely different machines both capable of producing great quality video when in the hands of the right diver.

Hope that you find what you are looking for!

Sincerely,

Morten

You can click on my signature to see some videos that I shot with the Panasonic LX100, if you have a retina display, thunderbolt monitor or even a 4K monitor, then you can decide if 4K is important for you. I never use the HFG20, and frankly, the equipment is only half of the equation. The dive destination and skill of the shooter could bring out the capability of the camera/camcorder, even though the equipment is not top of the line.

I watched Babcock Socorro video and it looks great

The first thing to determine is if he wants something with or without a port system and how portable it needs to be.

Right now the only camera that is really small and does not need a port system is the Sony RX100. The Mark III and IV have a lens that is not really versed for macro but the Mark IV supports 4K though with some limitations.

If you are looking at something really portable and want maximum still versatility then the RX100 Mark II is the camera of choice

If instead you want 4K the choice is more difficult. If your priority is video I would seriously consider the Panasonic LX100 especially for wide angle.

However for still images the lack of pixels does show and the RX100 mark IV is a better choice.

Both cameras have limitations for macro and need something like the Nauticam CMC to reach frame widths between 32-36 mm

The canon G7X is a great little camera for stills but the battery life is too limited for video it still requires a port system to operate properly but once you have it works great both at wide angle and macro but all considered nothing that the older Sony RX100 Mark II can't give you.

So in summary if you don't need 4K grab a bargain on a Sony RX100 Mark II it takes great stills and HD video and is truly a small rig.

If you do need 4K and stills are a priority get a Sony RX100 Mark IV

If you are an avid video shooter and want 4K occasionally taking stills and you are more into wide angle (I see that your videos are caribbean mexico nothing super small) the LX100 is a good option although it is not really that small, the camera is not pocketable and the housing has a port system although with the short port it looks pretty compact.

If you are a macro fanatic looking for a 4K camera you need to look at a micro four third camera, the new GX8 housing has similar weigh to the LX100 and with kit lens and macro port 35 you can use it as a compact camera with wet lenses.

In terms of dimensions:

RX100 15 cm width 1.2 kg housing with camera

LX100 18 cm width 1.6 kg housing with camera and port

GX8 20 cm 1.6 kg housing with macro port 35 and 14-42 lens

Wow. I'm impressed with your info. I do like shooting macro video. My Canon in a gates housing doesn't give me that option unless I stack closeup lens on my camera before I stick it in the housing. Then I'm stuck shooting macro the whole dive. I would like to have a small camera that shoots video as good as my Canon,be able to take good stills,wide angle and macro with good quality on the same dive. Am I asking to much LOL. I used to shoot a light and motion with a flip up macro lens,that was nice. I'm just a begginer and still learning. Will any of the cameras you listed do that. 4k would be a nice option but is there enough equipment out there to play it and can you burn 4k to a blueray.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Larry Babcock

If you don't have a 4K Tv or screen to watch it and you are happy with HD there are some good options out there. A compact camera has only one lens so you need to be happy with that one.

What I really like of my GX7 rig is the fact that I can use it as a compact with the kit lens and the macro port. I can attach a wet wide angle and a wet diopter and with the Ex tele mode you achieve macro with a small diopter. Another great benefit of micro four thirds and wet lenses is that you can zoom through

Maybe you should consider it as it is very cost effective and I would think not too difficult to use

19429534502_186f8da022_b.jpgBommie by Interceptor121, on Flickr

19439971671_27f25cdbf4_b.jpgReeftop by Interceptor121, on Flickr

19429183752_419df3cafd_b.jpgToothbrushing by Interceptor121, on Flickr

These were taking with the GX7?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You saw my videos. Will the Gx7 take as good as video as my Canon. I use manual white balance a lot

I believe that the best bang for the buck and the less complicated camera is still the Canon G16 or S120 as she does reasonable small macro to moderate wide angle without any additional lenses.

She has a broad choice of housings and acessories like macro and wide angle lenses and work perfectly with INON strobes using INON's s-TTL system.

A option to create a super small rig would be the S120 8same sensor and processor, but slightly different lens) with 2 INON of the tiny S2000 strobes.

If you "need" 4K video then the choice become less broad:
Sony RX100
Panasonic LX100
Panasonic GH4

Keep in mind that photo cameras are quite different to use as video cameras, especially the autofocus don't work well under water on photo cameras.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I believe that the best bang for the buck and the less complicated camera is still the Canon G16 or S120 as she does reasonable small macro to moderate wide angle without any additional lenses.

She has a broad choice of housings and acessories like macro and wide angle lenses and work perfectly with INON strobes using INON's s-TTL system.

A option to create a super small rig would be the S120 8same sensor and processor, but slightly different lens) with 2 INON of the tiny S2000 strobes.

If you "need" 4K video then the choice become less broad:

Sony RX100

Panasonic LX100

Panasonic GH4

Keep in mind that photo cameras are quite different to use as video cameras, especially the autofocus don't work well under water on photo cameras.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Could you set the focus to lock position where everything is in focus on the small camera's when taking video, so it won't keep trying to focus on different subjects? I have never used a small camera I probably will be using it as a video camera 90% of the time.

I think that you are talking of the hyperfocal distance,

as far i know all lenses have a hyperfocal distance where almost all is in focus and that is the best way to use it, except for macro where the focus usually works reasonable good.
In any case, you can set the G16/S120 in manual focus mode and once you know the hyperfocal distance to set just leave it there and all from approx. 1 meter to infinite should be in focus.

When you want to use it 90% as video camera is suggest you to get a video camera as they are much easier to handle and do the job much better than a photo camera.

If you want a camera who does photo and video, i think the best one (in this moment) is the Panasonic GH4 or you wait for the upcoming GH5 as ypu have a broad choice of housings and lenses

Chris

The feature you're looking for is call "Focus tracking" or "face tracking" depends on which manufacturer. As far as I know, it's very common on Sony's camera I guess they want to make their camera easy to use. I haven't use Canon point and shoot camera for at least 6 years so I don't know if they have that kind of feature. Panasonic have face/smile recognition, I think the GH4 has the tracking feature too as I remember it's not worth to use.

Here are the example of the feature you're looking for?

Tried it on my dog:

To be honest, I think the feature is useless underwater. First of all, I think the algorithm they designed for the tracking is to look for eye ball because it's the most important focus point of the picture. I believe new camera these days look for not just eyes, but nose, and lips (smile). Fish/turtle/shark etc doesn't have that kind of facial composition so the tracking won't work that well. I remember trying similar feature in the GH4, when the fish swim out of frame, the tracking get lost and I have to constantly re-set the tracking and after a few times, the camera gave error or the focus box just turn yellow and won't turn green to track. It might be useful for close up macro where the subject doesn't move fast and you have bigger eyeballs to focus on, but if you're shooting macro, manual focus with peaking is easier and less fuzzy to deal with.

Edited by kc_moses

GH4 has the tracking feature, skip to 6:50 of the video:

I just checked my LX100, it has that focus tracking feature as well. I might have to play with it in the future to see if it would help.

The Canon S serie and the new G7X don't have sufficient battery life for video. They can barely do a single dive. Entry level video cameras are almost existing from and underwater point of view I wouldn't even bother changing what you have for a newer one

I still haven't purchased camera yet. I have a trip to Truk Lagoon and Philippines in May, I would like to purchase something by then. Has anything new come out that i need to look at? I would like great video and stills and the ability to take macros in video and still mode.

Thanks for all your help. a hard decision to make

Larry

l.babcock,

I use the ReefNet macro adapter on my Gates AX100 housing and really like it. They likely make one to fit yours: http://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/#adapter

It is a swing-away adapter meaning you can use your rig normally or macro on the same dive - your choice.

Mostly I use their SubSee +10 and like it a lot.

You could keep your present rig and do macro too.

Tom

That's Awesome Tom. I guess it would work on my wide angle port. Thanks

Sponsors

Advertisements