oskar

Basic service for Nikon SB-105 strobes?

I have a couple of strobes that have not been used for many years.

What pre-emptive service could I do to increase the probability that they survive their first dive in a long time?

The obvious is to replace the battery compartment O-rings, those are hard and flat.

Anything else i should do?

Cheers/O

Edited by oskar

as you already discovered, the o-rings are hard and squeezed.

So you may change ALL o-rings on the strobe to make sure that they won't leak.

If you used it for a long time, also the condensers will be weak and you probably have to change them too.

You may try the strobe above water to see if it works and how much charges he holds and how fast it recycles.

I have no idea how difficult this task is but i guess that you may have it serviced by a pro

Chris

How do you change the orings for the knobs (there are two knobs)? I gues a full dissasemply is required?

I will need to get new lids for the electric strobe connectors as i will use these as slaves. Any ideas how to get any lid that seals this? Can these still be ordered from Nikon and are they decent price? If not, i am considering sealing these semi permanent with a blob of silicone.

Cheers

/O

Hi Oskar,

i have no idea how to service them but you may contact NIKON directly to see if they are able to help you.

In all housings and strobes i have seen:
the buttons and dials have one or 2 o-rings and you most likely have to open it completely, pull the circlip who hold them in place and push the shaft out from the inside.

To be honest, i believe that a complete service will be not worth economically, but if you are able to do it by your self and get hold of the o-rings it may be.

Chris

Yes I would not consider sending it in for service, it would be diy.

Anyone here with instructions on how to best disassemble it by the way?

Nikonos SB-103/105 service kit: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Nikon-Dichtungsring-Satz-Fett-Nikonos-SB-103-und-SB-105-NEU-OVP-/400970200348?hash=item5d5bafb51c

Nikonos SB-28 repair manual: http://www.ebay.it/itm/NIKON-SB28-MANUALE-RIPARAZIONE-SU-CD-CAMERA-FACTORY-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL-ON-CD-/181866785907?hash=item2a581aec73

You may contact them to ask if they have also the SB-105 repair manual available!

Chris

BTW: Google is your friend for further investigations

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Right, Thanks. It could be worthwhile to check if they have the service manual. It seems to be scarce. That service kit an others are only the battery compartment and connector orings. I I'll risk not to change the knob seals for now

Sponsors

Advertisements