Sign in to follow this  
tamas970

Sony A7-II for video?

Does anybody have experience (video & photo) with the Sony a7II? I am considering this camera to enter the FF world, if liking, I can upgrade to the 7rII (or maybe even to its successor next year) without the need to replace the housing.

Right now I use an olympus E-PL5 and being disappointed in video quality & low light performance. The sony would be an upgrade in both departments I hope.

I heard from a very accomplished video shooter: the white balance will drive you crazy!!!! If you just shoot macro with light, no problem. Wide angle with ambient light? Forget about it.

A7S, A7??...... Sony never bother to fix the problem. I heard that all the camera after NEX has the white balance problem. How bad is it and is there a way to work around? Well..... read on:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56280

Sorry to rain on your parade, at least you haven't invest in it yet!

But I'm curious why you're moving to FF? You already have the Olympus E-PL5, switch over to Panasonic GH4 or GX8 and you can reuse your Olympus lens. Panasonic white balance very well underwater.

Edited by kc_moses

The lenses are easy to sell with little/no loss. Problem is the video quality (alright, the GH4 could help me out here) and the high iso performance. Micro 4/3 surrenders at ~iso1600, FF has ~2 more stops to go.

No investment yet, my next trip is in February, I'll most likely jump on some before/after-christmas sales.

Thank u for enlightening on the WB issue, after the battery issue a second argument against sony...

I think the white balance issue is annoying but also overrated. I have been a canon Panasonic and sony user and whilst canon white balance is excellent underwater Panasonic still has has a green cast and sometimes produces suboptimal results. Sony instead just errors however works wonders with a filter in auto white balance. Considering that the A7 has incredible high ISO performance of I had the money I would definitely not worry too much and use a filter. The issue with the Sony camera are more on the lenses and ports in my opinion. I have a Sony RX100 Mark IV now and I have seen 4K footage shot with atomos shogun and it is impressive. The in camera 4K recording of both Panasonic and Sony but especially Sony is not amazing and comparable to avchd 24 Mbps once downscaled!

The shogun is the next step, it is one of the reasons I am considering the a7II instead of the a7rII: the price difference of the two cams buys me a shogun. Unfortunately, housing for it comes at unrealistic prices (1200+$

for ~gopro "complexity"- rather simplicity). Filter is obvious, I never considered going without one :notworthy: . With uncompressed HDMI/shogun WB is a lesser issue I suppose.

Does the A7II crop in the (external) 4k mode or does it use the full sensor?

The A7 line from Sony problem the most convoluted of any mirrorless camera. A7s II, A7R II then the "plain jane" A7 II. I would suggest you up the budget and buy a A7sII if video is your primary use. It's more resilient to overheating, unlike the A7RII, and shoots 4k, which the A7II doesn't.

The noise performance is the best there is but obviously the 4k files aren't spectacular due to the low bit rate at 100mbps bit rate. Still for 4k in a small compact housing, with the low light performance, despite the WB limitations and low bit rate.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements