haring

17 inch notebook recommendation for editing and presentation

Hi!

I need a 17 windows laptop which I would like to use for client presentations (wedding photography) and editing.

Until recently, I had a 17 macbook pro but I would like to move away from mac.

I wild like to have something presentable. I don't really want to have a gaming laptop because it is just too futuristic looking. I liked the clean look of my old macbook pro.

Do you have anything you can recommend?

Thanks!

I went through this same process recently after my new pup mistook my tethered iPhone as a chew toy and dragged my aging 13" MacBook Pro off of my desk and through my house. It was never quite the same... :-(

My first thought is save yourself the grief and stick with Mac, although the prices are nuts and they don't have a 17". I looked at brand name PCs like Dell since the clones just seemed crappy and based on previous experience, they are!

I also came away feeling like if I compared a PC to a similarly equipped MacBook (which is hard) there isn't actually that much difference in cost. At the end of the day I ended up with a 15" MacBook Pro. It's incredibly fast (as in cold boot in 8 seconds, launch Photoshop in 3-4 seconds) and the display is gorgeous. Mercifully, Mrs. Stoo is an Educator so I was able to get the education discount which helps especially with AppleCare.

My only complaint is that a 500 GB solid state drive just isn't big enough so I had to rethink my workflow and backup procedures. And houseclean.

In the end, I'm glad I bought it even though it was stupid expensive. It sounds like you have some photo income so presumably you can write off whatever you buy... Happy shopping.

Edited by Stoo

I used earlier Lenovo 17'' Laptops and was very happy with them, but unfortunately Lenovo stopped the production of 17'' laptops.

2014 i switched for this reason to a HP ZBook 17'' with 16GB memory, Nvidia Quadro GPU and then the fastest processor and i am very happy with it.
The only modification i made is to swap the internal Disk with two 1TB SSD disks and got a 5 year on-site warranty extension.

To choose a photo editing and presentation laptop you should consider only anti glare screens and probably a IPS Panel and HP DreamColor will
give you and especially your clients the best viewing experience under various conditions.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I looked at gaming laptops. I settled on MSI, got a laptop with top end dedicated graphics, 32GB RAM, three hard disks inside, with my operating system on a SSD (I swapped the optical drive for a hard drive), HD screen etc etc. I'm totally happy with it, way better value than a MacBook with specs that a MacBook can't match.

However, I've always been a Windows users. This makes the choice easy for me.

I also have an MSI, the GS70 and am very happy with it.

The new GS70 Ghost Pro has just been released and is very good. Slim, light, fast and plain looking and if bought through a "configurator" company like Xotic will go up to 32GB memory 512GB pci SSD system disc and 2TB SSD data drive.

Expensive though....

Sponsors

Advertisements