Sign in to follow this  
bentoni

Sigma 15mm shaved shade

I have a Sigma 15mm FE lens on a Nikon D810. I want to get a mini dome port for it like the Zen DP-100, but I am told I would need to shave off the lens shade to get it to fit. Has anyone done this? Is it something I could do myself. If not, who can do this for me?

I have a similar setup but with a Subal DP-100 (which is the same as the ZEN). Yes, you need to shave the fixed lens hood otherwise it will not fit into the small dome (the hood will stand against the inner glass of the dome. you can easily measure yourself how much of the hood must be shaved of, just setup the camera and the lens, housing and dome to figure it out. I believe maybe 10 - 20mm...

When shaving with a regular iron saw just make sure that the front glass element of the lens is not touched and hurt. best is to protect it with something attached before shaving. It is not difficult, just try it.

there are also some how to's available in the net as far as I remember

The best way to cut off the lens shade is using a Dremel tool with a cutting disk, grinding stone or the sandpaper drums.

Use a thicker piece of cardboard between the lens shade and the lens to avoid to scratch it if you slip.

Keep in mind that you should construct a lens hood as the original front cap adapter may not fit anymore or the front cap hit the lens.

Chris

Is any kind of EXR required with the Zen100 or the Subal?

Is any kind of EXR required with the Zen100 or the Subal?

No.

Btw, with the Subal small dome (the Zen is the same I think) you may still get some vignetting from the wide angle of this lens; you may still get the outside dome sun shade into the frame. Thus, I have also shaved this one slightly.

No.

Many thanks, Juerg

Do you see much difference (any difference?) between using the 15mm with a 100mm dome rather than a 190mm (Subal DP-FE)?

And I assume when you say you may still get some vignetting with the Subal/Zen you mean from the actual domeport? So the domeport shade needs a bit of a trim.

Many thanks, Juerg

Do you see much difference (any difference?) between using the 15mm with a 100mm dome rather than a 190mm (Subal DP-FE)?

And I assume when you say you may still get some vignetting with the Subal/Zen you mean from the actual domeport? So the domeport shade needs a bit of a trim.

Tim,

I am using the Subal 9 inch large dome port (230mm). I think the corner sharpness with this is much better than with the 100mm small dome. This is nothing surprising but follows optical physics laws.

using the 100mm small dome with this lens does only make sense IMO for

- one does not want to travel and/or dive with the bigger dome

- for close focus wide angle: here you want to get as close as possible to the object. Optimally your object does touch the little dome glass from outside and still the Sigma is able to focus that close (this is the big advantage versus the Nikon fisheye which cannot focus that close). the Sigma can close focus from 15cm I believe (measured from the sensor plane) and this is about the distance from the sensor plane to the glass of the small dome port) when mounted in the underwater housing (at least with the Subal this is about it). The close object in focus should be accompanied with the natural surrounding e.g. a reef or a diver in the background. Thus the usually rather small object in focus appears much bigger than in reality...this is the theory at least; but I cannot give good examples so far, I do not have much good images of this unfortunately. But there are plenty of good examples in the net (CFWA) and also here at Wetpixel...

One should use a lens in a minidome stopped down to at least to f/16 for corner sharpness and DOF reasons although, which might be a compromise in IQ (diffraction, flash power, shutter speed, etc.)

but you probably know all of this already...

Tim,

I am using the Subal 9 inch large dome port (230mm). I think the corner sharpness with this is much better than with the 100mm small dome. This is nothing surprising but follows optical physics laws.

using the 100mm small dome with this lens does only make sense IMO for

- one does not want to travel and/or dive with the bigger dome

- for close focus wide angle: here you want to get as close as possible to the object. Optimally your object does touch the little dome glass from outside and still the Sigma is able to focus that close (this is the big advantage versus the Nikon fisheye which cannot focus that close). the Sigma can close focus from 15cm I believe (measured from the sensor plane) and this is about the distance from the sensor plane to the glass of the small dome port) when mounted in the underwater housing (at least with the Subal this is about it). The close object in focus should be accompanied with the natural surrounding e.g. a reef or a diver in the background. Thus the usually rather small object in focus appears much bigger than in reality...this is the theory at least; but I cannot give good examples so far, I do not have much good images of this unfortunately. But there are plenty of good examples in the net (CFWA) and also here at Wetpixel...

One should use a lens in a minidome stopped down to at least to f/16 for corner sharpness and DOF reasons although, which might be a compromise in IQ (diffraction, flash power, shutter speed, etc.)

but you probably know all of this already...

Thanks, Jeurg

Really helpful. Yeah, I use the DP230 Subal too usually with the Sigma 15mm or occasionally the Nikkor 16-35. I've not really played around with CFWA since switching to FX.

Much better though the image quality is, the DP230 is such a pain for travelling! It pretty much fills my dive bag. I was wondering if the 100 dome might make life easier.

But I take your point entirely and agree: it doesn't really make sense. The optical quality is amazing with the 15mm (and the 16-35) and when so much has been invested in lenses like that combined with a D800/D810, why compromise it all with a dome which reduces the image quality?

Just clutching at straws.....

Buy a bigger dive bag I guess :crazy:

here is an example of a CFWA, but not a very good one, I must admit (not enough background or diver in the image, backscatter, etc.) But here in this image the Seastar is actually touching the minidomes' glass from outside on the bottom.

Shot with the Sigma in the minidome at f/20, 1/60 sec shutter, 2 x flash semi power or full power (cannot remember) from "high up position pointing straight down with about 30 degrees angle to the outside" (this is a kind of Kurt Amsler's invention ?), if you know what I mean...

post-1726-0-12167200-1446479458_thumb.jpg

here is an example of a CFWA, but not a very good one, I must admit (not enough background or diver in the image, backscatter, etc.) But here in this image the Seastar is actually touching the minidomes' glass from outside on the bottom.

Shot with the Sigma in the minidome at f/20, 1/60 sec shutter, 2 x flash semi power or full power (cannot remember) from "high up position pointing straight down with about 30 degrees angle to the outside" (this is a kind of Kurt Amsler's invention ?), if you know what I mean...

Thanks. Yeah, know what you mean. I was trying the same technique with CFWA in Lembeh with a DX. I found it especially good where the water was full of sediment or floaty bits - like Lembeh.

Yes, I have shaved also the shade of the domeport a bit (I think just a few cm). It (the Subal make) is out of hard plastic and I have shaved it with a kind of a Dremel

yeah...Lembeh is a great place.... :clapping:

allot of lens shades are aluminum...cutting will produce aluminum bits wich can get in between your elements...tape up the lens first cover the element with a small piece of cotten tshirt the tape it down....paint the cut edges black....ive done this maney times and NEVER f....k up a lens....will be doing this to a new 11 to 24 new canon soon...master tinkerer

post-53832-0-76358900-1457960700_thumb.png

Edited by dale kobetich

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements