Sign in to follow this  
kc_moses

Super wide angle lens for LX100

Bluewater has a review for LX100:

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/panasonic-lx100-review

One thing that caught my attention is they recommend wide angle lens:

"Dyron super-wide angle lens for awesome wide-angle"...... I looked at the product page and it would give 140 degree view on a 24mm camera.

So, my question is, has anyone use the Dyron wide angle lens before? It's clearly cheaper than Nauticam WWL-1.

I had a bad experience with Bluewater before, they list a certain wide angle lens work the Panasonic LX-7, so I ordered it. Then turn out the lens give really bad vignette, luckily they let me return it even though I tried it at the pool. I stayed away from Bluewater since then.

So, thought?

Hi

I wrote the review for Bluewater, but Scott at Bluewater edited it a bit, mostly by adding pieces, principally the list of accessories and things like that. It makes sense, obviously he wants to sell accessories to go with the LX 100 and the housing. Anyways, they are decent at Bluewater, I've always had good dealings with them.

I have the Nauticam CMC, but I've barely used it, because I found that you usually have to manually focus. I intend to try again on my next dive trip, and hope to spend more time on some macro photography and macro videography.

As for the wide-angle wet lenses, I haven't used any. The video which I shot was just using the LX 100's zoom lens. At the wide end of the zoom, in the dome port, it gives an 85° field of view, which I find to be reasonable. I would be interested to try out the new Nauticam WWL-1, or maybe the Inon UWL-H100, at some point in the future

I'll be shooting the LX100 with the WWL-1 soon.

In the meantime, I have shot the RX100 IV with the lens and it seems very good.

Adam

Hi Basil, the CMC is easy to use once you get use to it. I use manual focus these days but rely on back button focus to get the initial focus before recording, once the recording started, I just rely on the peaking to make sure I'm in focus. If come down to Florida, Blue Heron Bridge is a good place to practice and try macro.

Adam, look forward to the review. There is a mix information out there about WWL-1, some site mention it's 130 degree, some say it's 140. I haven't seen Nauticam's press release on WWL-1 so don't know who's right at this point.

The degrees depend on the master lens you use and then distance from the glass port

The lens is wider than then Inon UWL-H100 with dome which is the only one comparable in terms of optical quality

Compared to the Inon the lens has better corner sharpness, there is no major difference in chromatic aberrations

In terms of the distortion the lens is more rectilinear diagonally but stretches horizontally more than the Inon

I would not worry on 130 or 140

With the LX100 it works at 26mm equivalent on the short port and gives a very wide image

On my blog there are some shots though visibility was shocking

The WWL is really ideal for micro four third Panasonic lenses as you can zoom through the full range with a 14-42mm lens

Edited by Interceptor121

Interceptor, which lens/port did you test the WWL-1 with on m4/3? I'm interested in how it would perform with the 14-42 PZ lens in the 35mm port. Could you zoom through the full 14-42mm range? If so, approximately what angle of coverage would you be looking at at 14mm and at 42mm?

I have the 35 and 29 port. The 35 port works well with the Panasonic 14-42 and the 29 with the power zoom 14-42. All wet lenses support full zoom through not just the WWL-1 the Inon work as well. As the image of the WWL-1 is not rectilinear is quite hard to estimate an angle of coverage however I can say that is wider than the 7-14 Panasonic but narrower than the 8mm fisheye. With the Panasonic power zoom 14-42 and the 35 port the lens sits further away so it looses a little bit but not so much in terms of coverage. The corner sharpness is better though with the 29 port

I have the 35 and 29 port. The 35 port works well with the Panasonic 14-42 and the 29 with the power zoom 14-42. All wet lenses support full zoom through not just the WWL-1 the Inon work as well. As the image of the WWL-1 is not rectilinear is quite hard to estimate an angle of coverage however I can say that is wider than the 7-14 Panasonic but narrower than the 8mm fisheye. With the Panasonic power zoom 14-42 and the 35 port the lens sits further away so it looses a little bit but not so much in terms of coverage. The corner sharpness is better though with the 29 port

Interceptor, for macro use only with the CMC, is there any different between port 35 and 29?

I've just ordered 35 port for my PZ 14-42 and no plan to get the WWL-1. Should I change to port 29?

Thanks in advance.

Bona

I haven't actually tested. To be honest the 29 port is smaller than the 35 and if you don't plan on other longer lenses it would be a more appropriate choice in case later on you change your mind

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements