Sign in to follow this  
eric black

Baggage Allowance in Indonesia

Curious if anyone knows the answer to either of the following two questions-

Q1- how strict are Lion Air and XPress air with respect to baggage allowances

Q2- does anyone have any experience paying for extra bags or weight? If so, roughly how much?

guess it was actually 3 questions- thanks in advance for any help- just trying to figure out what camera gear gets to go and what needs to stay behind

Hi,

They are relatively strict on checked luggage. I assume that they use it as a 2nd income.

If I remember it correct it is usually only 15kg free.

I think that each excess kg is approx. 2$.

/Erik

For inter-island air travel in Indonesia with dive and photo equipment you will need deep pockets and you will need to allow extra time for check in's. Some airports like Alors you will spend over two hours in line. The first line is to check in, get bags weighed, the second line is to pay for the extra weight and it needs to be cash in Indonesian Rupia. Then you return to the original check in line with your paid receipt. The airline web sites will give you allowed weight and approximate cost of the extra weight. This cost varies between each inter-island leg of your trip. Also check and see if the airline has a sport equipment allowance, this will give you an extra 10 kg baggage allowance

The check-in and paying for extra weight is just part of indo-pacific air travel for really great diving.

Don't cut corners to save weight, bring any photo or dive gear you might need.

Elmer

Edited by eyu

Worth noting that Garuda domestic no longer provides the additional sports baggage allowance of 20kg for free. They apparently stopped doing this in August which was a surprise to me in September. The process Elmer outlines is correct and very slow because both the checkin desk and then the payment desk will run calculations on total cost, and once paid you have to queue again for your boarding pass.

In a group of 8 divers we had 40kg each instead of the allowed 20kg. On the first domestic leg we were charged about $2.50 per kg extra. On the way home the cost was about a quarter of that for exactly the same bags. So either the weigh scales aren't working in Kupang, or smiling a lot brings down the charges (or both).

Don't frown or get angry - customer service people in Indo get upset and then everything gets harder. They always seem quite nervous about explaining that it's going to cost extra, so presumably some passengers must get stuck in. Lots of time and lots of smiles is the best bet.

Does this apply to transfer flights as well? (I.e where you don't even see your bags and they are put on the connecting flight directly)- do they just try and do it on your hand luggage instead? So how much earlier do you have to get to the airports to allow for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Destinations within Indonesia like Wakatobi for example provide their own charter flights (via Garuda) for their guests, so that baggage weight/allowances are a non issue. In short what ever you managed to bring with you to Bali is going with you hassle free to the resort or their live-aboard and back to Bali. That is if you are not packing something ridicules like a rebreather with your camera equipment - wait a second, I did that, it wasn't an issue either.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements