Sign in to follow this  
Storker

Rabbit fish

Last weekend we did a night dive to look for the Rabbit fish (Chimaera monstrosa). It's a deep water species which you have a decent chance of seeing around here, since it for some reason likes to come up to rec depths in our waters. Particularly during late fall and particularly at night. Conditions were demanding, with lots of clay particles in the top layer and less than 1m viz at the surface. The bottom was very silty, fine clay with pebbles, so you hugging the bottom to get a good angle usually had catastrophic consequences for the local viz. To top it off, I don't have a red focus light (yet, but Christmas is right around the corner), so I struggled with hotspots from my diving light. Some of the pictures had heavy hotspots and a -3EV brush was necessary to tone them down.

I'd appreciate feedback on a few pictures that turned out not too bad (click for the large version):

22744683843_72a14366b0_m.jpg

22743486494_fc445500cc_m.jpg

23003770069_3070d424eb_m.jpg

23371944785_44a8772402_m.jpg

Would love to see one of those. Well done given the conditions and your "flash" system

Well, my flash system was two Z240s, so that wasn't too bad. The challenge was that my diving torch had to double as a focus light.

--

Sent from my Android phone

Typos are a feature, not a bug

Edited by Storker

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements