Sign in to follow this  
balexandrescu

Olympus 8 mm f/1.8 fisheye Pro or Olympus 7-14 mm f/2.8 Pro?

Hey there!
Well that pretty much sums it up. :mocking:
I shoot the Olympus E-M1 in the Nauticam NA-EM1 housing and I'm trying to decide between these two wide angle options. I've always wanted a fisheye as I've usually shot the 9-18 mm Olympus up till now, but now I wonder if that new f/1.8 fisheye won't be too wide? I just don't have the experience using it but thinking back on my prior photography, I'm thinking wouldn't the 7-14 be a better all around option?

My next trip will be a Bimini great hammerhead outing in January and I'm hoping to take one (though I certainly don't want to spend on both!) along with me.
Clearly the dome port options will vary greatly (and be incompatible) between the fisheye and the rectilinear 7-14, but I'll likely stick with the glass Zen or Nauticam ones. More specifically, if I go with the fisheye, there seem to be both a smaller mini (Zen DP-100-N85) and larger dome port option (Zen DP-170-N85)....I wonder how they compare optically as I'm sure the smaller (? mini) dome would be perhaps more travel friendly.
Any advice from folks shooting these 2 lenses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much. :notworthy:
Bogdan

Edited by balexandrescu

Hi I think the fish eye would be the best option. Like a 8 mm Lumix or Oly F1.8 if you have the right mini dome. Not a rectilinair lens . The latter lense, although very sharp, cuts of parts of a large shark that do not fit in the frame. See for example:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/panasonic-7-14mm-lens-review

Keep in mind that these hammerheads at Bimini are big and come close. Ideal for the fish eye. Have fun.

Edited by albert kok
  • Like 1

Thanks so much Albert, that's very helpful. I did actually just purchase the Olympus f/1.8 and am excited to play around with it. So far I don't have a mini dome. Unfortunately, about a year ago I bought the version II of the Zen DP-170-N85 for my Olympus 9-18 mm hoping that it might someday fit the Olympus 7-14 mm (final dimensions were't available back then), which of course it does not. Nor does the version II work with the 8 mm fisheye. So now my next decision will be to either get the Zen mini dome for the fisheye lens or sell the version II of my DP-170 and get the older version I which I understand would work with the 8 mm fisheye. That way I could use the same port (minus the 30 mm extension ring I would think) for the fisheye and the 9-18 lens if I wanted to do more fish portraits and the such. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks once again Albert!

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan.. It indeed is a bit complicated. But the mini dome is not a must. Its only a advantage if you need to get very close to your object. Any dome will do with the Oly 8mm as long as the front of the lense is not too far or too close to the front of the dome. And even then you dont have too worry too much if you have blue water in the corners of your image. So I think that with a shark at 50 cm you will still get a nice sharp shot filling the frame. If you are further away (> 1meter) the shark will perhaps look too small. In that case you can always crop afterwards. And maybe you can try both the 8mm and the 9-18? And just shoot along and look at the end of the day what you liked most. :bye:

Edited by albert kok

Does somebody know which extension is needed for the 8mm Olympus pro with the Zen DP-170 with a Nauticam Housing? I think it should be the 20mm.

I have the DP-170 II with integrated extension and that is too Long so that i see the sunshade and have black edges.

Does the DP-170 also perform great with a 20mm extension and the Panasonic 7-14mm or will i need for that lens a 30mm extension?

The Zen DP-170-N85 works without an extension with the Oly 8mm FE. The DP-170-N85II won't work. There is no one port solution for both the 8mm FE at 7-14mm lenses at this time. But heck, it's Christmas you never know...

• Like 1

So, if i buy a Zen DP-170 then i can Mount this dome on my nauticam NA-EM1 without anything else for using the 8mm Olympus pro?

And when i want to use the 7-14mm from Panasonic, then i just have to buy an extension (30mm)?

Yes, that should work. You'd also need the zoom gear as well.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements