Seems, Subtronic has a fiber adapter (called "TTL Optosensor"). What should I expect, compared to Inon's fiber TTL connection? S&S is limited in sync, how would older Subtronic strobes (e. g Maxi & Midi) equipped with the ttl slave sensor fare?

Besides, are there any competitive optical->n5 TTL converters around? The Heinrichs Weikamp site doesn't list the RX100 family on its compatibility list:(

Edited by tamas970

My opinion that the best variant for RX100 is YS-D1, and set "minus" correction for TTL.

Yes, the Z240 also has such correction. But Z-240 correction system is a fine tuning, sometimes is not enough for RX100. Usually i advice Z240 for all rigs, but for RX100 i recommend YS-D1.

According my experience with RX100 and optical TTL from built-in flash, - we always have some overlight (if no any +/- correction), independently of strobe type. This is well known problem with RX100. It easy solves by "minus" correction setting on the strobe.

Subtronics ... are huge and heavy for RX100. I would not advice.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

I know, its a small camera, the nauticam housing makes it a little bigger:). I just picked up a second hand Nova, Subtronic offered to retrofit it to FO, I'll go that way. I'm afraid the z240's would fall short for WA intensity especially with a warm filter needed for blue water. I expect ~3 stops advantage with the Nova, which is significant for a small-sensor camera like the rx100. I recall shooting a human-size anchor with 2xS2000's: without diffuser I had to go ISO1000 & f5.6, my target is ISO1-200 f6.3-f8.

True, balancing the gear will be another story, I'll most likely replace my arm system to a more robust one.

Edited by tamas970

I'm afraid the z240's would fall short for WA intensity especially with a warm filter needed for blue water. I expect ~3 stops advantage with the Nova, which is significant for a small-sensor camera like the rx100. I recall shooting a human-size anchor with 2xS2000's: without diffuser I had to go ISO1000 & f5.6, my target is ISO1-200 f6.3-f8.

Certainly the S2000 strobe's power and angle are purposed for macro, not for wide angle photo.

Nova strobe has GN=32 on air. (By the way, the the YS-D1 has the same GN=32).

Inon Z-240 has GN=24.

The difference between Z-240 and Nova is less than 1 stop aperture.

I very often use Z-240 strobes (with -0.5stop diffuser), by many technical reasons. And they are very universal strobes, - for large and small cameras, for wide-angle and for macro.

Regarding GN for wide angle photo, - the GN of Z-240 is more then enough for all purposes. Usually i set for wide angle: ISO 200, aperture f8-f16, 1/60-1/200 shutter speed.

Subtronics are also very nice strobes. But their advantage is not just a GN. The main thing is round shape xenon tube, which performs a very uniform and high quality light. Such strobes are required by experienced photographers for serious level cameras. Yes, they can sense some difference comparing with linear shape tubes. But round tubes require large size capacitor and transformer, that is why such strobes are large and heavy.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov

I am a little late to move to z240's now, I fetched a nice 2nd hand copy of the nova - being 2nd hand, probably not a big price depreciation to expect in case I can't master it.

If it turns out to be a keeper, I'll get another one:)

From the specs, I like the round tube, warm CT, wide coverage out of the box. Weight is substantial, but I've seen people diving ys-250's and DS-160's with compact cameras,

I think I have to find the optimal arm system, the long arms I've been using with the tiny s2000's were great but a bit of a pain to handle.

Sponsors

Advertisements