I was wondering, does anyone use strobes with different power in pairs? (coverage, CT the same)

I am about to buy a venerable Subtronic Nova - which is the third most powerful light known to me underwater (2nd being its successor pro270, first Baker) which I might pair with a Subtronic Maxi.

GN's underwater: 20+16, other characteristics match.

If I am right with the formula, I should expect GN 25.6 total (2 novas would result 28), worse case the "maxi side" of the objects ~2-3 stops shadows - which is unlikely to prevail, because where shadows are visible (macro+other close-by stuff) both strobes would operate at very low power settings.

Edited by tamas970

Tamas, that will work fine. The mixed power will be noticeable but likely only if your using them at full power... which will be "rarely" I suspect...

Having said that, I have no idea how this might effect any ttL settings you might be using, since I doin't know didly about ttL...

About TTL I am also very unsure, however it is not high preference to me. I hope the HW opto adapters will provide some useful TTL's for macro, wracks will need full power (+ careful placement to avoid burn-in...)

Photographing a wall, one needs more power on one side anyway.

Edited by tamas970

I often use one Z240 on full power and the second on 3/4 power. I like the 3D effect of slightly more shadows from one direction while shooting wide angle. I use the stronger one as main light and the weaker one as side fill, or aim the stronger at the background and the weaker at a close-up subject.

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements