Vagabond

Powerful strobes - Hartenberger vs Subtronics

Hi,

I am considering adding to the arsenal one or two powerful strobes, mainly to lit far in the background. I would prefer warmer color. I have been suggested to look into Substronics 270 or Hartenberger 250/625. Does anyone have any experience with these type of strobes, their respective customer services. If any one has any magazine review would also help, even if in German i can find a way to translate.

Given the size of the investment any one that can share its experience and/or data to help decision between brands would be very helpful.

Thank you.

I am in the process of reviving an old Nova, in a couple of months I'll be able to report back regarding customer support. Heard some grim feedback, I am more optimistic, since

I don't need anything special, just the strobe in manual mode.

BTW I am a bit confused on the bigger Hartenberger (625) according to specs is nowhere near as strong as the Nova. The nova is GN20 underwater covering 110°, the 625 is GN32 on land, covering 90°(probably also on land?).

At the same time, the Hartenberger is rated 625ws while the nova 270ws.

Edited by tamas970

I have two Subtronic pro 160 and 2 Hartenberger 250. For travels, the Hartenbergers are by far too heavy: Over water, one of them is heavier than both Subtronics. Furthermore, in manual mode even the -5 setting of the Hartenberger is often by far too strong. Advantage of the hartenberger: it is very probable that you will not need any support. They just do their job. Furthermore, they have pilot lights that are usable, the ones from Subtronic do not deserve the term "light", it is just one single weak LED, their intensity are equal to half a candle light.

Hartenbergers are +- neutral under water, but still bulky (I would not like to dive with 2 of them in strong current).

Regarding size, the Subtronic Nova (270) is in between the Subtronic 160 and the Hartenberger 250. I think there is absolutely no reason to take the Hartenberger 625. It is, furthermore, not even fast enough for preflahes and you would have to work in manual mode only. With a TTL converter, you can use the Subtronics or the Hartenberger 250 in TTL mode which works perfectly for macro (reduce the fash intensity in camera settins when using Hartenberger in TTL mode sine the TTL converter I own is made for weaker flashes). The Subtronics are a pain in the ass during night dives in manual mode because you cannot read the back Panel du to lack of light there. Hartenberger works great, the buttons have a built-in light.

Although Subtronic claims 116 degrees light angle and Hartenberger only 90, they are absolutely comparable. But as mentioned, the Hartenberger is much stronger, and the difference is for sure more than 160 vs 250 Ws. Therefore, either the Subtronic has less than 160 Ws or the Hartenberger has more than 250 Ws.

Advantages on both sides, it absolutely depends on your needs which flash works best for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jens

Edited by Jens Hartmann

Jens, Thank you for your very valuable input, I dont plan to use these strobes for Macro, the YS-D1 are sufficient for what I am doing. I intend to use them for wide angle only. I was also a little bit concern given so much power the fact that they have only 6 fstop manual regulation. In terms of power do you think the subtronics nova 270 is closer to the Hartenberger 250? How do you find subtronic customer services?

Wolf, i am also confused about the GN for the 625, they may have a typo, The YS-D1 is also a GN32 on land, and its power is somewhat limited underwater, Underwaterphotography guide gives the 625 a 32 underwater. http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-strobes

I dont see much of this strobes on the used market on wetpixel, is there limited used market?

Thanks

Customer service was terrible in the past but since Wolfgang Tick is the new owner it became definitely much better. The Subtronic 270 should be comparable with the Hartenberger regarding light output. But I dont own the 270 and have no experience with it.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H525n mit Tapatalk

Hi,

A few years ago I used the Hartenberger 625TTL and 250 hs TTL with a Fuji S2 pro in a Subal housing and was very satisfied with the quality of Hartenberger.

I switched to Seacam D800 with 2x Seaflash 150 but my wife is still using the Hartenberger 625 with the Fuji S2. (analog TTL)

For information I am selling the Hartenberger 250 hs TTL with 2 reflectors 4500K and 5000K for 900€ because we have to many strobes :mocking: . see link below

http://www.plongeur.com/scuba-deal/showproduct.php?product=21257

Remy

Can you give some feedback on the stength/practical GN of the 625? E.g. how did your working distances change when you swapped to the 250?

Hi,

A few years ago I used the Hartenberger 625TTL and 250 hs TTL with a Fuji S2 pro in a Subal housing and was very satisfied with the quality of Hartenberger.

I switched to Seacam D800 with 2x Seaflash 150 but my wife is still using the Hartenberger 625 with the Fuji S2. (analog TTL)

For information I am selling the Hartenberger 250 hs TTL with 2 reflectors 4500K and 5000K for 900 because we have to many strobes :mocking: . see link below

http://www.plongeur.com/scuba-deal/showproduct.php?product=21257

Remy

Edited by tamas970

My estimations with the FujiS2 @ Iso100 / 1m: Underwater GN of 625 => ±22 Underwater GN of 250 => ±16

When I used both strobes together (625 + 250) I mostly switched the 625 to TTL2 which reduces this strobe to 125Ws.

Thanks Remy! Seems, the 625 plays in the same league then as the larger subtronics.

My estimations with the FujiS2 @ Iso100 / 1m: Underwater GN of 625 => ±22 Underwater GN of 250 => ±16

When I used both strobes together (625 + 250) I mostly switched the 625 to TTL2 which reduces this strobe to 125Ws.

Edited by tamas970

I will do a light meter test between the Subtronic mega color 350w/s and the Hartenberger 625 in end of april and come back to you guys with the information.

kind regards // Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements