My rig is a Canon 5Dmk3 in an Ikelite housing with two DS160 strobes. I mainly dive reef down to 40m.

Since upgrading to the 5D I've been playing about with the video, a feature not available to me with my previous setup. Video is something I'd like to keep shooting but not so seriously as to consider a dedicated video cam (well, yet anyway).

I'm after suggestions or recommendations for a single video light. I have credit with a store which stocks I-Dive. So are any of the following worth considering:

• Venom 38
  • venom 35s
  • Fish Lite V50
  • Something else?
I like the idea of the 38 with the UV light, not for anything other than viewing pleasure, but I'm probably leaning toward the V50. The difficulty lies with my lack of practical experience with the levels of light output, would 3800lm be enough? Is 5000lm still short of anything practical? Edited by CheezotheClown

I would choose the Venom 35s over the others.

It's an awesome light and for me the spot feature is invaluable.

I use the light on spot mode while diving and looking for cools stuff, then switch to flood for shooting.

That way you save battery and still find the little critters hiding in crevices. Dual purpose lights are always my favorite. You can even use the spot mode for shooting macro photos and get a nice spotlight effect.

UV is a nice gimmick, but most divers use it once or twice, get a kick out of it and never use it again.

Spot is much more useful in the long run!

I used the Pro6+ for video with very good results. It also has multiple levels, red and UV so you can use it as a video light as well as a focus light.

And if you are interested in picking one up, let me know, I have one for sale for a very good price :D

Thanks for your thoughts guys and season's greetings.

When I posted I hadn't even considered the Venom 50 as it was priced well above the others that I listed. Turns out that the Venom 50 was on special shipped from the US so after adding the postage and relevant taxes it came up to the price that the store which I have credit with was selling it for. Although their website listed a much higher price.

So in a long winded way I've gone for the Venom 50. I realise that the UV is gimmicky and that is before getting the chance to even try it but it is there along with the red light at a couple of levels. The Venom 50 however does punch 5000lm (manufacturer rated).

Edited by CheezotheClown

Sponsors

Advertisements