Aldijo2

Aquatica housing for Sony a7R II

Anyone using an Aquatica housing for Sony a7R II? What lenses and ports are you using? Let me know the pros and cons.I've used a Nautical housing and have no complaints but for this camera it seems that Aquatica has a lot more to offer. They include the flash trigger and the ports used are the same ones used for the DSLR models.

There is a lot of information about Nauticam but none for Aquatica for this camera.

No one? No opinions, reviews or comments?

Can the Aquatica a7r II housing be used for the Sony a7 II? The Aquatica web site does no specify, but in Backscatter it states that it is also for the a7 II. The flash trigger is included in Aquatica and not the Nauticam so there is a $200 saving right there.

Hi Aldijo2

I have tested this housing extensively- please contact me direct and I will send you photos and my thoughts.

thanks!

Mauricio - mauricio@handlerphoto.com

For those interested in my thoughts on the Aquatica A7rii here are a few short comments.
I tested the housing for a few days both for stills and Video work and was very impressed both with the actual camera quality
and the ability of the housing to reflect the features of the camera itself.

The housing can be used for both the Sony A7rII as well as the Sony A7sII
The housing buttons can be configured to the way you work- meaning you can preset any one of the many buttons and levers to reflect your camera preferences...
In my case - I used with few custom features using the housing and camera right out of the box.

This housing like all others use the Wide -angle dome port for wides and macro port for macro (keeping things simple).

Ergonomically the housing, dome port, arms and strobes (ikelites in my case) was compact and negative. I did not have floats on the arms, something I would consider.
I used the housing with dual NIK connectors using Ik DS161 strobes but the housing can be used with a supplied Flash trigger for Fiber Optic trigger or Ikelite Bulkhead.
All bulkheads are manual - no TTL .

All buttons on the housing are easily accessible.
The one issue I have is not so much with the housing but the way the camera works inside this or any housing.
When you take a photo the automatic image review should show up on the LCD. This happens automatically when you tilt the camera forward a bit and or remover your
eyes from the viewfinder- this is achieved with ta light sensor inside the finder area...
If the sensor is blocked from light all the time (such as when inside a housing) this feature is rendered useless forcing you to press a separate lever
to get image review on the LCD. This is not a big deal- especially from new photographers getting into this system for the first time... but for those such as myself
that have been in this game for a while- I love auto review and have no time for pressing another button for said review... this is though, a personal preference.

Aside from this aspect the housing and camera work flawlessly to deliver some impressive huge stills and truly good looking 4k footage!!
here are a few images for.

Just my two cents..

Mauricio

• Like 1

Hi Aldijo2, the Aquatica A7r II, uses the standard DSLR ports and extensions and view finder, the port selection decision was based on the fact that the camera may be small, but the lenses themselves, including those from Canon used with a Metabone adapter, are designed for full frame sensor, and therefore are big lenses on average. Production is in full swing and early 2016 we will start delivering these housings, we had a few prototype field tested by various photographers, some of whom are likely to chime in here with their impressions. Me personally, due to my position as the individual in charge of technical support, and out of professional integrity, I will let others comments on their impressions of the housing and stick to factual information.

The A7R II comes in 4 variants,

20079-OPT which include the Flash trigger as you mentioned
20079-NK which is equipped with two classic Nikonos strobe connectors
20079-KM which has a single Ikelite strobe connector

All three variant above are priced identically, and there is also.

20079 which has no strobe connectors and is optimized for the video shooter, consequently it is slightly lower priced than the above 3 models

The lens chart will be up for downloading in the next coming days, you can send me a e-mail at jean@aquatica.ca if you want to and I will e-mail it back to you (that goes for anyone interested in getting this info), but in a nutshell, the obvious choice are present on the chart;

Carl Zeiss Vario SonnarT* 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS
Sony FE 28mm f/2 & Fisheye adapter
Sony FE 28mm F/2
Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Type II

Expect the list to be expanding soon as more lenses are tested and approved.

Regarding the A7 II, my understanding, from the information given to us by the people at Sony is that, both camera are identical apart from the rubber eyepiece design (which requires to be removed anyway) and the mode dial which has a lower profile, this means that shooting mode would not be accessible once the a A7 II would be in the housing, whether changing shooting mode underwater is a top priority or not would be for the individual to decide. This being said, I should state that we do not have an A7 II for validating this information at this time and this is based on the premise that if the Sony information is accurate, then that would be the only difference (we are however looking at making the previous A7 II model adaptable for use with this housing).

Thanks Viz'art!

Mauricio and you have provided excelent Information.

Edited by Aldijo2

If you want opinions on this housing, I would suggest that they will need to be shipping out first!

Jean has noted that Aquatica will only be delivering them from early in 2016, so there aren't many people out there using them yet.

I am sure that you will get lots of feedback about them once they are out there in the field.

Mauricio, apart from being very experienced and very much a professional in the industry, is one of the few people to have used this housing so far, so his opinions are valuable.

For the record, It should also be stated that he is an Aquatica dealer and works closely with Aquatica.

Adam

Hi Aldijo2

I have tested this housing extensively- please contact me direct and I will send you photos and my thoughts.

thanks!

hello jim kozmik from canada..just got aquatica a7r2 housing for my a7s2 with 28mm and 16mm adapter..really appreciate any advice for camera settings..housing setup etc tks..jim kozmik kozmikunderwater|@gmail.com

Hi Aldijo2

thanks!

sorry....email was wrong..it is kozmikunderwater@gmail.com

Sponsors

Advertisements