Sign in to follow this  
Nicool

Tokina 10-17mm on 24 MP APS-C sensors?

hi folks!

I am wondering whether somebody has analyzed how the venerable Tokina 10-17mm behaves on 24 MP APS-C sensors?

Of course this won't be worse than the previous 16 MP generation (referring to Nikon's D7000), but i am wondering to which extent it takes advantage of the extra 8 MP of resolution?

DxO marks is a good source of information but unfortunately they didn't test this lens (at least on D7100/D7200).

Alexander Mustard's reviews are also a great information base, but during his D7100 review he didn't have a chance to shoot the 10-17mm.

Any experience to share?

thanks in advance

Nicolas

People use it with good results on the 36mp D810, so I would think it'd be fine.

I had the old version of the 10-17?. I shot it mostly behind a mini dome. I thought it was great on my D7000 but quite soft on my D7100. Soft enough that I sold it and went with the 10.5. That being said I have a friend that shoots it with a D800 and her images are sharp. But she has the newer version. Not sure that makes a difference though. I have been thinking of giving a new version another try but have not as of yet, I have that 10.5 that I really like and also have a Sigma 15 mm with shave lens petals that I like, just can't take them both on the same dive.

Yeah, when I moved to FX from DX, I sold the 10-17 and mini-dome, and went with the Sigma 15 and the Zen 170mm dome. It's a little bigger, but still travels well.

Looks like you guys who moved to FX are just fine with fixed focal fisheye (sigma 15mm), so i should be able to survive DX with the equivalent nikon 10.5mm.

Though i am not diving frequently enough (to my taste), so i'd enjoy the 10-17mm which would give better chance to not waste that one-time shot opportunity...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I had the old version of the 10-17?. I shot it mostly behind a mini dome. I thought it was great on my D7000 but quite soft on my D7100. Soft enough that I sold it and went with the 10.5. That being said I have a friend that shoots it with a D800 and her images are sharp. But she has the newer version. Not sure that makes a difference though. I have been thinking of giving a new version another try but have not as of yet, I have that 10.5 that I really like and also have a Sigma 15 mm with shave lens petals that I like, just can't take them both on the same dive.

You mean it looked softer on D7100 than on D7000 m when looking at 100% zoom right?

I couldn't see how the image as a whole (viewed on same screen size and resolution) coule look better on D7000, unless maybe you had a focus problem on the D7100?

You mean it looked softer on D7100 than on D7000 m when looking at 100% zoom right?

I couldn't see how the image as a whole (viewed on same screen size and resolution) coule look better on D7000, unless maybe you had a focus problem on the D7100?

Well, I am beginning to question my decision too. At the time the consensus was my new 24mp sensor was out resolving my lens, the 24mp 7100 sensor has a more dense pixel density the the D800 with it's 36mp sensor. Could it have been that my lens needed an in camera fine tune? You bettca. But boy that 10.5 is sure sharp.

Yes and i presume the 10.5 also focuses faster than the tokina, have you noticed it?

Yes and i presume the 10.5 also focuses faster than the tokina, have you noticed it?

They are both very fast.

They are both very fast.

Got it thanks :-)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements