Sign in to follow this  
MarcusMalta

Livaboard for Northern Wrecks in Red Sea

I am thinking of booking a livaboard to shoot the Northern Wrecks in Red Sea and Ras Muhammed. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still safe or is there any increased tension or the feeling of unsafety that is felt even on Livaboards?

Hi Marcus

I'd suggest having a look at the Travel Advice on one of the European government websites, e.g. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

I was down in Marsa Alam then Luxor a few months ago. Marsa was busy but Luxor totally deserted and hotel deals were incredible. I felt safe enough, especially using a liveaboard as you suggest, and it was just within the limits of both the FCO and Dutch Travel Advice. But then I was in Istanbul a few weeks ago, that felt safe - and bang.... an awful attack today. I always thoughts Sharm would be pretty safe but then there were the events surrounding the Russian airliner.

It's getting to the stage where you begin to wonder if anywhere in the Middle East/Near East region where tourists gather is safe. But then if you let fear dictate where you go, maybe you will never go anywhere.

It's a very tough call. Only you know how much risk you are prepared to take. "None" means you stay at home, tucked up in bed.

It's also worth checking out the extent of your travel insurance. What is the impact on that if, for example, the US State Dept or FCO advise against travel? That can invalidate any travel insurance you might have.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your detailed insight. I am travelling from Malta and up till now I'm not aware we have travel warnings for the area but it is surely taking a volatile shape. Will be taking the risks. Rather to what happens on the ground I'm very concerned to what happens whilst we're out at sea.

Marcus

HI again Marcus

Yeah, you'd expect to be ok out at sea but who knows what might happen whilst you're away.

The usual reaction to an incident is for countries to get their nationals out of the immediate area - and advise against future travel.

I'm not sure what the insurance implications might be if you have already started your trip if the travel plug is then pulled. You'd assume, of course, that it'd remain valid. But, as I suggested, it might be wise to check with your insurer (assuming it's a Maltese agency) to see who they look to for formal travel advice. I'd imagine it's the Maltese Foreign Ministry who, in turn, most likely also tap into other European foreign ministries.

But, as I suggested, if you have a look at the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Travel Advice site (that's the link in my previous post) you should be able to get an idea of where the UK considers the areas of greater and less threat. That will then influence UK travel and insurance agencies.

Problem is of course that the situation can change pretty damn quickly. Sadly.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements