Greetings,

New to forum...getting started with a new camera, GH4! Pretty excited!

Any users have experience with underwater setting suggestions starting out? I'm just getting acclimated to camera itself. Planning on Pan 7-14 Lens and Oly 60mm lens...debating between nauticam and ikelite housing. I've done lots of searching on suggestions for video and still settings...all mostly above water info.

Thanks for any suggestions. Really appreciate reading all about underwater photography and videos...dive shop owner has been and continues to be a big help also.

Cheers.

Morning,

Welcome.

Most of the GH4 users on here I know (including myself) are using Nauticam housings, they seem to be very reliable, great support and the continuous improvements and upgrades are coming thick and fast. Just recently Nauticam have released a new 'deep' version of the NA-GH4 - good for 150m!

For settings, its a purely personal choice, many people like to use a 'flat' profile and colour grade after, some prefer to try and get the internal recordings as close to their final grade in-camera as possible.

The GH4 is very flexible and if I'm honest - too flexible and I haven't quite got to my favourite settings 'yet' even after over a yr of using it underwater. But for the moment I'm using 'Natural' profile with +2 Contrast, +3 NR, +2 Sat.

As to White Balance, if using lights its recommended to set the Kelvin to match the lights - at least you won't get any colour casts.

In ambient lighting, the GH4 really does need a Red filter (Magic Filter or URPro type) to bring the the G/B down a touch, with a filter - it really does 'pop'.

As to lenses, sadly I've got/had them all, 8mm,7-14mm,12-35mm,14-42PZ, 14-42MKII, 9-18mm, 60mm

For me the 7-14mm is a stellar lens underwater and one of my favourites, behind a dome (6" Nauticam, 170mm Zen or the 180mm Nauticam) its a great FoV for wrecks etc. However I feel the lack of OIS (or IBIS) really does let it down a little, as you have to be great underwater with your control to keep it steady! Some say corner sharpness isn't great, but I've been happy with the 4K video I've taken with the 7-14mm

The 60mm is a mega macro lens, for Nudi's and the like it great, I loved it, the colours, the sharpness its amazing, but for me I've found it a little too strong and the focusing annoys me, when it hunts backwards and forwards - and the manual focus is too slow when in a housing. I've heard good things about the 45mm and also the new 35mm too.

In the end, I got fed up choosing what lens to take (as its become apparent I'm diving less and less) so I've traded in the 7-14mm dome and the 60mm (the WA and Macro) for a middle of the road choice with the 14-42mm MK2, the CMC and the new WWL. That way on a dive I've now got Macro, Close Up and WA all covered - plus I've gained some IS.

If I were you (and If I was me again at the beginning!!), and you haven't got any domes or ports purchased yet - I would have a look at the WWL combo.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard...appreciate the input. I've yet to purchase housing...so will consider your advice. Anxious to get it in the water...

Update...

Getting Ikelite housing, DS161 strobes and decided on the 12-50mm lens instead of the 60mm...appreciate any pointers.

Update...

Getting Ikelite housing, DS161 strobes and decided on the 12-50mm lens instead of the 60mm...appreciate any pointers.

Well, talk about not listening to friendly advice. ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements