Sign in to follow this  
DiversEyePhoto

Really need help Canon G12 won't fire Ikelite Sub100

Hello everyone and anyone,

I am desperately in need of assistance. I have been shooting underwater for years, but not with strobes. I have a trip coming up very soon and I have purchased an old Ikelite Substrobe 100 and an A35. The A35 I realize is only optical, not a problem. I purchased a used cord for the Ikelite 100 to connect to my Canon G12's Ikelite housing and it won't fire through the hotshoe connection. I have gone through troubleshooting everything I can think of. I tested the cord, and it will fire the strobe. I have even put the hotshoe connection on my 5dmk3, and it will fire the strobe. It is just the G12 that isn't firing the strobe. I'm praying that someone has had this or a similar problem and knows what I'm doing wrong, or what needs to be done to fix it. Below are some other things I have tried.

Cord works at both ends, and strobe can be triggered all the way into the case. Tested using a paper clip and touching the correct terminals. So, connections are good all the way from the flash to the inside of the housing.

I read things that suggested that some older strobes can't do ttl. So, I wondered if that was the problem and they suggested placing electrical tape over the connective parts and seeing if that works. I couldn't get that to work. I may be taping off the wrong parts or that may not be the issue.

My canon G12 hotshoe works fine. I can place a Canon 600 EX-RT on top of it and it fires fine. (The nice camera and flash are my work equipment, not mine. If I could afford all of that, I could probably afford new strobes rather than old used ones. ;) )

If anyone has any advice at all, I greatly appreciate it. If I can't get this to work, then I may have to just rig up something to block the on camera flash and try to just use the A35. If the Substrobe 100 is not compatible for some reason, is there a way to remove the port from that and attach it where the optical port is on the A35?

Thanks in advance!!!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
if your ikelite housing isnt working with your strobes, its sometimes a gernation problaim....
Sometimes older strobes have a problem with preflash modes of younger cameras...
If you use a ikelite housing, like my girlfriend did for years, for a G9, try to get a 125 or 160 strobe from ikelite, and very importaint, a ikelite ttl cable that works for both.
Not all ikelite parts are working with all kinds of ttl protocolls....
Its worth to change both strobes against one that does it jobs right ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

Have you tried using manual mode on camera and manual mode on the ikelite 100 strobe. You will be using only the firing pin on the hotshoe. No ttl is possible. I have used my ikelite 100a strobe with my aquatica housing and nikon d60. Camera setting full manual. ASA 200/f13/1/60 Strobe setting 1/2 power for shots to 3 foot. Beyond 3 foot full power.

Thank you both. I was able to get both of these strobes for less than $100. I only get to dive once a year or once every other year, so I can't justify the $1000 price tag of the newer ikelite strobes.

I have tried the camera in manual mode and the flash in what I think is manual mode. On the strobe there is a M T S dial. Am I correct in assuming that it is Manual TTL and S? I tried it on each of those settings while always having the camera in Manual exposure mode and it didn't seem to have any effect. I don't know if there is a way to change my cameras flash setting to manual. I know there is flash compensation controls, but as soon as I have the hotshoe connection on, I can't make a lot of those changes, I'm guessing because it realizes that TTL is possible.

I really do appreciate both of your help. It is going to suck if I just can't use the 100 strobe. I don't have time for this trip, but I guess I can look at getting an optical slave for it like the A35.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements