Draq

Looking for input on dome for 8mm Olympus in Nauticam housing

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts / experience regarding the following used with an Olympus 8mm on an EM1 in a Nauticam housing:

1. Athena F100II 100mm dome for Olympus 8mm 1.8, Nauticam Mount

2. Nauticam 140mm dome with 17mm extension

Wow, almost 80 views and no one has any opinions on this. I am not sure whether no one is using the lens, or most people are using Olympus housings instead of nauticam, or if it is just a boring topic. Anyway, I have pretty much decided to get the 140 nauticam dome, in case anyone is interested.

Having the Pana 8mm and both the 4.33" and the 3.5" Nauticam domes I can recommend the smaller one if quality is similar.

Compact size is a huge benefit except for in/out shots...

I personally dont have the oly 8mm (only the pana 8mm), but there are some options with the zen domes:

http://www.housingcamera.com/blog/news/nauticam-announces-zen-port-compatibility-for-new-olympus-pro-lenses#.Vqhtg-zGLCQ

Probably I will go with the DP-100-N85, so dont have to think of another port if im upgrading to the m.zuiko 8mm

Edited by simon87

I was leaning toward the 140mm dome because I am thinking it would provide improved corners at wider apertures, while still being a tolerable size for packing, and still allowing an ability to get close to subjects.

I would prefer the smaller dome if my assumption about the corners is incorrect, but I don't care too much about under/over shots with this lens and port, so that isn't a concern.

The Olympus 8mm fisheye can be used with several ports on Nauticam housings including the ZEN 100mm optical glass port with 30mm extension, Nauticam 4.33 acrylic port with 20mm extension, Nauticam optical glass port with 17mm extension and ZEN 170mm optical glass port with no extension.

so the first question would be how much the smaller size will matter, do you require optical glass or acrylic and what other lenses will you be able to use with the port.

For example the ZEN 170mm is an excellent port that can be used with a verity of other M43 lenses, the ZEN 100mm is also an excellent port which may support the needs of many who want to shoot CFWA because of its small size.

The Nauticam 140mm is also an excellent choice.

Thanks, Phil.

I use a larger dome on both the 7-14 and 12-40 (and which won't work with the 8mm) and can't really manage traveling with two of those, so a 170 is out. I prefer glass domes for their buoyancy characteristics, so it really comes down to the Nauticam 140 or the Zen or Athena 100. I enjoy cfwa shots so was leaning towards the 100, but then began thinking that the 140 might do as well for close focus and also provide better corner sharpness.

I guess the real question, when it comes down to it, is whether the 140 poses much of a limitation for cfwa shots and whether it provides better corner sharpness, especially at wider apertures as compared to a 100. I am not sure anyone has much experience with that dome on micro four thirds, though.

Do somebody of you know if there is a Port Chart for the Zen Domes?

Do somebody of you know if there is a Port Chart for the Zen Domes?

If there is, it resides on Hillary Clinton's email server.

Just kidding.

No, there is no chart, or at least I have never found one, and they don't list any kind of compatibility on their website. Reef Photo's storefront website give some information but it is not in a single place, or consistent. Generally, you just have to talk to a dealer or to Zen (aka Reef Photo) directly or get input from users. If you ask here on this forum about Zen port compatibility for a specific lens and housing you will likely get a knowledgeable reply pretty quickly. You may or may not get input about actual hands-on experience but usually someone knows what is supposed to fit on what.

You'll get some better edges with a little less distortion with the larger domes. They also will shoot a little better over and unders.

I posted this blog article about lens options for the 8mm & 7-14mm.

Edited by JackConnick

Sponsors

Advertisements