JustinBeevor

Fisheye with Sony a7Rii

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading from NEX6 to an a7Rii, but I have concerns about fisheye. Although I've been quite happy using the 16mm+converter on my NEX6, considering the amount of money I'll be putting into the upgrade, I really want to think about whether I can find a better fisheye option for the full frame.

Has anyone here tried the Sigma 15mm on an a7? If so, did you notice a good improvement in quality over the 28mm+converter? And what mount converter did you use to preserve autofocus (if any exists)?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Justin Beevor

www.flickr.com/justinbeevor

Hi Justin. Good question. This posting refers to the Sigma Fisheye/Metabones combination in some detail.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56631

Included in the first link is Brian Smith's positive report on the combination above water with the most recent software update:

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-canon-ef-smart-adapter-tests/

The other adapter that might be worth looking at is the new Deo Saker Falcon Lite (also marketed as Techart). Not so much information around and only available in UK on eBay:

http://www.deoinfinity.com/#!saker-falcon/cqse

Of course for many types of underwater fisheye use, autofocus isn't really necessary, but you would probably need a custom focus gear for MF. This is what we have done quite successfully for the A6000 with a Tokina 10-17 fisheye and mini-dome (also with a custom zoom gear). I don't think the Tokina would be a good solution for Full Frame.

What about the combination of Sony 28mm FE mount plus Nauticam WWL-1? Seems to get good reports and a lot more compact than dome solutions - although not fisheye I believe with a diagonal field of view of 130 degrees rather than 180 degrees? Phil Rudin reports his favourable experience with this combination compared with the Sony fisheye converter here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56866

Mark

Thanks Mark, that's really helpful - I hadn't thought of the Canon zoom, so that's another choice (and yet more money).

The a7Rii is very tempting, but the total cost of the upgrade is eye-watering for an occasional dabbler like me. So I'm still waiting to see what happens with the a6000 replacement when it is eventually launched. Next trip is not planned until June, so plenty of time.

Thanks again for your help. If you're at the show in Feb, I'll try and catch you for a chat (assuming I have the right Mark D!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I had thought about the Canon lens - a flexible solution, probably better optically than some alternatives, most likely to work well with adapters as a native Canon lens, but quite expensive.

I am looking forward to the A6000 replacement with interest, but as it stands that might still leave us with limited options for good fisheye solutions - thus our current manual focus workaround with the Tokina 10-17. If a new APS-C camera's autofocus with adapters works as well as it seems to do for the A7RII then that would be interesting. Deo claims that the Saker Falcon Lite autofocus works well with the A6000's hybrid PD/CD system at least for native Canon lenses but I haven't found many relevant independent reports and none that relate to the Tokina lens, so going that route at present would be high risk.

At least there is now a good native macro solution for Sony E-mount owners in the 90mm FE Macro.

I probably won't be at the show in February but I'm speaking at the February BSOUP meeting.

Mark

• Like 1

I;d recommend a very close look at the 28mm and Nauticam WWL-1 lens, which I think is the best optical solution, although I don't think it gives 180˚ corner to corner.

Mark - thanks again, and hope to see you at the next meeting. On the NEX, I've been fine with the 16mm+converter, so would probably stick with that if the a6??? looks good enough to keep from spending £££ on the full-frame upgrade - especially if the Nauticam APSC housing goes the same way as their new Oly EM10ii (Mr Lai, please take note!). For macro I'm using the Zeiss 50 - so would be good to compare notes if you guys are up and running with the 90.

Alex - thanks, helpful as ever, and it looks a very interesting option ... if I can persuade Hazel to trade more baggage allowance!

Just returned from the Philippines and got to use the Sony A7rmk2 in the Aquatica A7rmk2 housing. For wide angle, I used the Sigma 15mm in EF Mount with the Metabones adapter and the Aquatica 4" minidome, I also got to use the Sony 28mm f2 with the fisheye conversion lens using the Aquatica 6" acrylic dome. Both worked extremely well with the camera and port combo.

I was shooting the A7rmk2 against my 5dsr and will have a review up on my site shortly

Cheers

Stu

I was shooting the A7rmk2 against my 5dsr and will have a review up on my site shortly

Looking forward to seeing it, Stu!

Another Fisheye option for the Sony A7R II is the ALL MANUAL Rokinon 12mm F/2.8 ED AS IF NCS Fisheye for Sony E-mount. I used this lens with the new Ikelite Sony A7R II TTL housing, the up to 2.8 inch universal gear (included with the housing along with a second up to 3.0 inches gear) for focusing the lens using focus peaking, a very short port extension and the Ikelite eight inch dome port. Prior to the dive I set aperture at F/9 and used shutter speed and ISO to control exposure. I also used two Ikelite DS 161 strobes set to TTL along with two dome defusers. I think a smaller diameter port configuration could be supported using perhaps a 140 mm dome port. The eight inch port worked across a wide range of subjects but is not ideal for very CFWA. This lens is also branded as a SamSung and perhaps others, it is quite sharp and works well out of the water for such things as astro photography.

post-2618-0-12032800-1458494962_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-59826700-1458495004_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-61087600-1458495032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just returned from the Philippines and got to use the Sony A7rmk2 in the Aquatica A7rmk2 housing. For wide angle, I used the Sigma 15mm in EF Mount with the Metabones adapter and the Aquatica 4" minidome, I also got to use the Sony 28mm f2 with the fisheye conversion lens using the Aquatica 6" acrylic dome. Both worked extremely well with the camera and port combo.

Cheers

Stu

hello from ontario..just got aquatica a7r2 housing for my a7s2..mainly video 4k..I got 28mm and 16mm adapter..stuff on my table.. like a monkey trying to do a math problem..please advise and help ..can you take a few minutes and send a detailed camera. housing and custom button settup..i would like to try 6 inch dome and 15mm sigma and maybe voightlander 12 or 15mm..thanks alot..jim kozmik.....kozmikunderwater@gmail.com

Another combination to add to the list is the Metabones with the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom and Zen Underwater 100mm optical glass dome port. Focuses very close and the small port is excellent for CFWA.

Image A7R II, Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom, Nauticam housing, Zen 100mm port, two Inon Z-240 strobes.

post-2618-0-93868500-1465899754_thumb.jpg

Another combination to add to the list is the Metabones with the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom and Zen Underwater 100mm optical glass dome port.

Hi Phil, the above photo has the left corners/side completely blurred/out of focus, isn't it?

Is it the dome?

Yeah - that looks like classic mini-dome problems to me.

Shows how expensive camera and expensive lens can all be undone by wrong dome.

Alex

You can look at these and be the judge. I may shoot the lens in a few days with the Zen 200mm dome to see how it looks. Cant get this close with that dome. Most of these shots are very close to the subject. This is also I believe the only full frame system where you can shoot the 8-15 zoom with a 100mm port.

From todays dives using the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom, at the 15mm full frame end and the 8mm circular fisheye ends of the lens.

Nauticam Housing, Sony A7R II, Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom, Metabones adapter, Zen Underwater 100mm port, two Inon Z-240 strobes.

post-2618-0-28655500-1465982888_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-25005000-1465982905_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-48571600-1465982932_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-05669100-1465982956_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements