Sign in to follow this  
oneyellowtang

Inon Z240's vs. YS-D2's for WA and CFWA

I've been shooting with dual Inon Z240's for the last several years, and have been very happy with them (for the most part).

With a couple of predominantly wide angle trips upcoming, I was started to look around to see if there was any other strobes I should consider with a little more power (and possibly different shaped & colored lighting).

I've used the Z240's for reef scenes with decent success, but always struggled a bit on CFWA shots (likely an issue more with my skill than issues w/the strobes).

In looking at the YS-D2, it looks to be a little more powerful, and slightly different colored lighting.

Anyone have any opinions specifically for wide angle shooting? I've also looked at the Subtronics (different price range) and I'm not sure they buy me that much more for the type of shooting I do (vs. price).

I'm looking mostly for covering vibrant (warm water) coral reef scenes (<90 ft) shooting with a D7200 and a Tokina 10-17mm lens (and potentially moving to a D500 in the fairly near future) as well as some pelagics (mantas, sharks, etc.)

I used Ikelite strobes on two different trips to Cocos, and loved the power they provided, but they're heavy to travel with, and they don't offer an optical connection directly from the strobe (after shooting optical, I will *never* go back to electronic bulkheads by choice) and I'd rather not use an optical converter (just another potential failure point).

Any opinions welcome, and those that have shot with both the Z240 and the YS-D2 - would definitely appreciate your point of view.

- Matt

The S&S have more power but that is without the diffuser. With the diffusers the two strobes are 1/2 stop or so apart (at least in my hands). You might try getting some of the warm diffusers from Inon and see if that makes you like them a bit more.

Bill

I shoot both YS-D!, YS-D@, and Inon z240. I like the Sea & Sea strobes better for most applications because I find the much easier to adjust output levels (I almost always shoot manual). I only use the z240 when using a Retra snoot, because it has a better modeling light output.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements