haring

Is there a female to female Ikelite cord converter? Problem, HELP! :)

I have an Aquatica housing with Nikonos strobe connectors (bulkheads).

I would like to connect my housing with two Ikelite strobes.

The problem is that the Ikelit to Nikonos converter I have has a Ikelite "male" end which fits ONLY into one of the Ikelite strobe plug. When I want to use an Ikelite Dual Sync cord / splitter to connect the other Ikelite strobe I have two male ENDING. I can't connect my dual sunc cord to my Nikonos to Ikelite converter.... Is there anybody who had this problem before?

I have the ikelite 4104.52 Dual cord, and

the 4104.6 Nikonos to Ikelite converter.

Thanks!

Edited by haring

what is the part number for the Ikelit to Nikonos converter?

I'm not understanding the OP's question. How many connectors are on your housing? You wrote it plural, but is there just one?

If two, I don't see the problem. Just get two Ikelite-to-Nikonos cords.

If just one, then you need to go from a Nikonos fitting on the housing to a dual cord that has two Ikelite connectors on it, right?

Why is the 4104.32 (non-TTL) or the 4104.62 (TTL) not what you are looking for?

Your current cords are not the solution, I'm afraid.

I think that you might actually have a 4301 TTL converter which is meant to plug into a housing equipped with an Ikelite strobe connector, what you need is the 4302 (see picture) which has a Nikonos male connector on one end, and on the top of the small barrel is a female Ikelite in which you connect your 4103.52 Dual sync cord.

post-1676-0-92780400-1454593346_thumb.jpg

I have the part that Jean described laying around from times past, Part No. 4302. I've gone to FO and no longer need it. I understand that it's only for Nikon cameras but that may no longer be correct. I used it with a Ikelite TTL Dual sync cord as Jean described. It can be used in either TTL or manual flash mode.

If you're interested, please PM me.

Harry

Tursiop, from the description, it is likely a 4301 Ikelite to Ikelite TTL converter, the male Ikelite part he refers to actually goes into the housing, when this later is equipped with a Ikelite type bulkhead, the female part on top of the little barrel is where the sync cord connects. my personal housing is equipped with Ikelite type bulkheads and I use the same TTL converter that he has presently for open water situation, mainly because it standarize the connectors, I can remove the converter and plug the sync cord directly and very importantly, for underwater studio situation because all my connectors across the board being identical, all my extensions cords and Pocket Wizard housings work and can be swapped between units.

He says his Aquatica bulkhead has a Nikonos connector.

"I have an Aquatica housing with Nikonos strobe connectors (bulkheads)."

Tursiops, yes that is why is current 4301 won't work, these TTL converter come in two type, one for housing sporting a Ikelite strobe connectors, the 4301, which is what he seem to have, and he should have the 4302, which is designed for housing with a Nikonos type connector, I should mention that all pins must be actives in order to have those work properly, in the end, both converter do the same job, it is just the plugging part that differs, Hopefully Haring is in a situation where he can return this unit and get the correct one, if not he can always swap one of his Nikonos bulkhead for an Ikelite one.

I presume he has a Nikon housing (hope so) and theses can be ordered with a variety of strobe connectors, the Nikonos type being pretty much the default one, but these are all modular and can be changed and adapted fairly easy

I'm not understanding the OP's question. How many connectors are on your housing? You wrote it plural, but is there just one?

If two, I don't see the problem. Just get two Ikelite-to-Nikonos cords.

If just one, then you need to go from a Nikonos fitting on the housing to a dual cord that has two Ikelite connectors on it, right?

Why is the 4104.32 (non-TTL) or the 4104.62 (TTL) not what you are looking for?

Your current cords are not the solution, I'm afraid.

Hi!

The housing has 2 Nikonos bulkheads.

They don't work because the 4104.32 (non-TTL) and the 4104.62 (TTL) cords have male ends and the Ikonos to Ikelite has a male end, as well. I can't connect 2 male ends, unfortunately.

what is the part number for the Ikelit to Nikonos converter?

I apologize!

I think that you might actually have a 4301 TTL converter which is meant to plug into a housing equipped with an Ikelite strobe connector, what you need is the 4302 (see picture) which has a Nikonos male connector on one end, and on the top of the small barrel is a female Ikelite in which you connect your 4103.52 Dual sync cord.

I apologize!

I have the part that Jean described laying around from times past, Part No. 4302. I've gone to FO and no longer need it. I understand that it's only for Nikon cameras but that may no longer be correct. I used it with a Ikelite TTL Dual sync cord as Jean described. It can be used in either TTL or manual flash mode.

If you're interested, please PM me.

Harry

Pm sent...

What are the part numbers of the cords you have? Your descriptions are (sorry) ambiguous.

The 4104.32/62 cords would be used INSTEAD of any cords you have, not with them.

You need either: two single cords, one from each Nikonos bulkhead port to each strobe, or one cord that goes into just one of the Nikonos bulkhead ports and Y's off to the two Ikelite strobes.

You appear to have two cords, right? One has a Nikonos on one end and an Ikelite on the other? What is the part number of that cord? Can you find it on http://www.ikelite.com/accessories/cords/?Your other cord appears to be a Y-cord, perhaps a 4103.52? You are NOT going to be able to plug your cords together. The cord that plus into your housing is the wrong cord for using two strobes. You need to replace BOTH your cords with either the 4104.32 (non-TTL) or the 4104.62 (TTL). Both of these cords have a Nikonos fitting on one end, to go into one of your bulkhead ports, and two Ikelite fittings on tghe other end, to go to your strobes.

That's my best guess without further info.

I apologize!

I apologize!

Do you mean 4103.52, or 4104.52 as you wrote?

OK, had the gentlemen on the phone and things are much clearer now, turns out he has a TTL compatible sync cord, compatible being the key work here, so in the end, TTL is not an option with is camera (a Canon 1DX) .

This is a relatively frequent occurrence, TTL cords don't mean they are TTL, it just means that all their contacts are active, (sort of a throw back to the Nikonos and film cameras of heydays) there is not really any commercially available housing that would actually have requirement for such sync cords, housing with built in or external TTL converter would not use this cord anyway, unfortunately TTL with the Canon 1Dx n is case will not be an option.

With digital cameras, unless there is provision to isolate the pins contact, or that the bulkhead are wired so that only the ground & sync are active, you should avoid these cable as they may conflict with the camera and freeze it. Ikelite has special two wires sync cord for digital cameras.

In Haring's case, all he has to do is put all of the switches on the switchboard in the down position, that will block off any unwanted or confusing signals.

Thanks for calling Haring, always here if you need more info.

Jean,

As always, GREAT SERVICE from Aquatica.

Now about the housing for the D500-when to expect it??

Harry

Hi Haring

Quip it simple. Go with 2 Ikelite-to-Nikonos N5 non-TTL Sync Cord (Product Number 4104.31).

I have 2 used for sell it you are interested. With the original boxes.

BR

Pedro Alves

OK, had the gentlemen on the phone and things are much clearer now, turns out he has a TTL compatible sync cord, compatible being the key work here, so in the end, TTL is not an option with is camera (a Canon 1DX) .

This is a relatively frequent occurrence, TTL cords don't mean they are TTL, it just means that all their contacts are active, (sort of a throw back to the Nikonos and film cameras of heydays) there is not really any commercially available housing that would actually have requirement for such sync cords, housing with built in or external TTL converter would not use this cord anyway, unfortunately TTL with the Canon 1Dx n is case will not be an option.

With digital cameras, unless there is provision to isolate the pins contact, or that the bulkhead are wired so that only the ground & sync are active, you should avoid these cable as they may conflict with the camera and freeze it. Ikelite has special two wires sync cord for digital cameras.

In Haring's case, all he has to do is put all of the switches on the switchboard in the down position, that will block off any unwanted or confusing signals.

Thanks for calling Haring, always here if you need more info.

This is completely at variance with the OP's statement that he can't even connect his cords. Which one of you guys is confused?

Tursiops, first there was confusion on the description he was giving, turns out that the TTL converter was not a converter at all, which he taught he was getting and that is why he could not get it to plug as it should, once we had each opther on the phone, things got clearer, also having posted pictures of the components involved from the get go would also have made things clearer. In the end, its really not a pissing contest, I much prefer to have someone on the phone, work on resolving the problem and get them back in the water ASAP, even if in this case, it has nothing to do with the housing per say.

Strobe connectivitty can and does get confusing at first, I would suggest, that if in doubt, contact the housing manufacturer or an experienced dealer to make sure that you get a properly working solution for your housing from the start.

Divenwolf, about the D500, already in the work, no firm ETA yet,

Jean,

THANKS so much for all the help!!!!!

Otto (from Miami)

Sponsors

Advertisements