Sign in to follow this  
mfrymus

Strobe / Video light combo

I know nothing about lighting for underwater. I've been doing on land stuff for several years through. Mainly focusing on the video portion.

Wondering, is there a light that is good for photo/video use? - strobe and continuous.

Or would I be best getting separate lights?

Which lights?

Will be using the Sony A7ii with ikelite housing

Im thinking about dual lights, rather than just one... without spending a boat load of money as I don't have too much money to spend on this. Gotta pay for school.

*Shooting people mainly at the moment (capturing memories) but later in the days I will be shifting focus on the marine life.

The problem with light is the frequency spectrum is different from a strobe.

For that, it hard to shoot fast moving subject with high f stop and low iso.

For the dumb humans.. It should be fine :)

Strobes provide more light than lights. You can shoot stills at low shutter speeds but I find it too slow for me, 1/60 or so when I need at least 1/125 or more. Lights also tend to be warmer, than strobes. http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=151

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. No.

For photography I will be using strobes. For Video, I will be using continuous lights.

There is an Ikelite I found the DS161. That has both a video light built into the flash unit.

I was asking if there was a light that has two lights in one unit, rather than having two separate lighting fixtures.

• Like 1

Ok. I gotcha. Thanks.

I just thought it would be easier to purchase a light like this; with both a video and stills capability as it would reduce the amount of gear, probably cost less, and be able to do both underwater if needed.

The DS161 has a 500 lumens video light. Thats not powerful enough is it?

That new one ^ looks cool. and more powerful.

• Like 1

I once pondered that very same question and initially was gonna go with DS161. In the end, I went with 2 DS125s and 2 Laluz optics L1000 for video lights (http://www.laluzoptics.com/L1000.html). The latter puts out 1000 lumens with 100 degree beam and can also be used as a focus light. Laluz optics just came out with a 5000 lumens video light (the size of a coke can).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements