baobubble

nikon d7200 best housing

hi. i've just bought a nikon d7200. now i need a housing . i'm looking for the best one available for this model. i want to make a great investment in order not to replace the housing in a short time. could you suggest me which are the best? i was racing about seacam, subal, isotta or nauticam. can you help me choosing between them? thank you

I've used Aquatica for years, now on my fourth with a D7000. I'm sold on Aquatica, esp. because of the customer service. It is excellent. But I know folks who dive both Nauticam and Subal housing and are in love with them. I don't believe that you can go wrong with any of the three. I'm not familiar with the others you mentioned, probably more a European following. Since you're in Europe, Subal may be the best choice. But a lot depends on your local dealer. That can make or break your experience with a housing.

Hi

I don't think you will ever fine the best as it make a difference to how the housing feels in your hands & how the controls fit your hands

then of course your budget, as its not just about the housing its the ports, the strobes, all other bits you may want. i would say go & handle as many as you can

before you buy all the housings are very very good, its more about how much you want to spend. For me I am very very happy with seacam housings but that was

after playing with a few makes.

Regards,

Andy

My preference would be Nauticam. I'm on my 4th, and have never had any issues with them -- 4th only because I changed cameras too many times :D

Previous posters have named the leading housings.

All in all they are quality products.

What will finalize your choice is product support in your home location and how they feel in your hands.

Go to the suppliers or a local dive show and handle each of them

There is a difference in the 'feel'.

I agree with Andy and okuma.

Subal, Nauticam, Aquatica.... high quality and you will not be replacing them until you replace your camera body! And that, I'd suggest is the determining factor of how long you keep your housing and not its build quality.

But as they suggest, the best way to decide what to get is to try the feel of them. What feels good? What does everything you would want as easy as you would want?

They are expensive items. Get the one that feels best to you. And then have fun with it.

Subal have double protection, all housing are eloxal and than painted with special colour ( also can be custom colour). Some others manufacturers goes only with eloxal and because of this from salt water thru time goes white and start corrode!

Also have all buttons on housing like camera have and its with excellent ergonomic!

Edited by VladimirM

Subal have double protection, all housing are eloxal and than painted with special colour ( also can be custom colour). Some others manufacturers goes only with eloxal and because of this from salt water thru time goes white and start corrode!

Also have all buttons on housing like camera have and its with excellent ergonomic!

I'm with Vladimir......

I'm on my fifth Subal.

I am on my third Subal and got the ND7100 for my wife's D7200. She love it

Subal's ergonomics are great, you can feel every click of shutter speed change and f stop change, and positive half shutter feel

Elmer

thank you everybody. i'll feel them and let u know.

i'll have two buy also 2 strobes. I'm doing macro most of the time but i'll do also nature/ambient in the future. a photo diver suggested me to buy 2 inon z 240/4 ( in t/l mode). but i was looking for powerful strobes in order to use them also when i m not doing macro. what do u think about it? i was reading about subtronic strobes or sea cam strobes. can anyone help me choosing the strobes? thanks

Hi baobubble

I've been using Inons for about 15 years, firstly the Z220 and for the last 5-6 years, the Z240 Mk4.

I use them for everything. Certainly for macro I find them perfect. I never try to light the whole reef for w/a shots and only highlight an element of the reef (say a coral outcrop - see example) using ambient for the main lighting. For this I find the Inons just fine.

Nice thing about them is that they are small and light-weight and use AA batteries. I have 4 sets of Eneloops, 2 sets for each strobe - and I find a set will easily do 3 dives.

In the 15 years I have never had a problem with the Inons and they must have done in the region of 1000 dives. God knows how many images!

With cameras pre the Nikon D800 I used electrical connections but have now switched to fibre-optics. Really easy with the Inons and I have TTL which, I find, brilliant with macro.

post-2756-0-06089400-1455703143_thumb.jpg

No matter what housing you go with, it will outlast the camera. Given the D7200 has been out for what, almost a year, it's half way to obsolescence already! ;-) I tell this to anyone who is shopping for a higher-end housing: Buy a second camera body while you still can. If your one body dies, you'll end up with a $3000 paper weight, or be forced to shop for a used one on eBay.

Also, I use an Aquatica housing with my D7000s and I'm very happy with it. I suspect that you can't go wrong with any of the brands under discussion, so I would look carefully at the servicing "ease" where you live. Your housing will need to go in for a breakdown and service now and again, regardless of how often you dive it.

Edited by Stoo

I agree with almost everything said above. There are no 'ever' lasting housings. "Ever' means two perhaps three or four years. Then you cant resist buying that new ergonomically superb housing or that new camera that beats all earlier versions in megapixels or focusing speed. For me the lense and camera combo comes first. Personally I am happy with the 'good old' Ikelite housing series for the dSLR cameras. Price is reasonable. Not so difficult to sell if you want to upgrade. I could even keep the same housing while upgrading from D7100 to D7200 (albeit without TTL). The Ike strobes,even the older generation DS 125, are still doing fine. I can even use them with my Olympus 4/3 back up system adding the optical adapters.

Edited by albert kok

As underwater photographers we were lucky that the D7200 was the same size as the D7100, thus allowing the use of the D7100 housing.

I carry two bodies. Use one as a land/backup body while the primary stays in the housing.

Since you live in Italy, look at the Isotta system or what system your local underwater supplier services and carries.

It is important to have good service for whatever housing you buy.

Elmer

I use Nauticam D7100 for my D7200 and am less than impressed. Talking from experience of 7 years of using my last Subal, I found Nauticam unergonomic, poorly designed and not very long lasting. Might be good for some, but not for my type of diving. Add poor customer service (last turnaround time was 2 months), you end up paying significantly more than Subal.

I'm also looking at buying a D7200 housing. In my case I have older Aquatica equipment so I can save money if I buy a housing which can use the existing ports. The Nauticam is tempting because the buttons seem easier to press than the Aquatica. But it would cost a lot more - I would have to buy a new viewfinder and sell the one I have, gears cost more, and some of my strobe arms wouldn't work well.

In trying to figure out if the differences would matter to me I realized that I don't really know which buttons I would be likely to use underwater. I can shoot in manual mode and mostly just change the aperture, occasionally the shutter speed. Or I could do most of my wide-angle work in aperture preferred mode. But I suspect that's not taking the best advantage of the capabilities of the D7200.

I'm sure there are plenty of D7200 users reading this forum - what settings do you use and what buttons are you frequently reaching for underwater?

I use my D7200 in an Aquatica housing uwphoto. Majority of the time while I am under, the 4 main controls I am using are as follows: ISO, shutterspeed, aperture, zoom/focus, shutter release and the 4 directional arrow keys (focus point selection). Of all of these controls, the only one I find isn't as easy for me to reach from a neutral 2 handed grip are the directional arrow keys but did not find this overly frustrating when I shoot. I shoot in full manual with camera set to continuous focus, continuous low shooting (turned the speed down through menus), If I want to swap over for video then that adds two extra controls to the list but rarely do at this point just due to light constraints.

Thanks JohnS86! That's the kind of information I was looking for.

It looks like the Aquatica is the way for me to go. I can move almost everything over from my old housing except for a few gears. I have Z-240 strobes so I'll move from Nikonos connectors to optical.

Video is tempting. Maybe I'll look for a focusing light which can also be used for close-up video. But for now the housing purchase will dent the toys budget and I need to leave enough money to go on vacation with the new housing.

Glad the information helped, if you want can upload a couple of images with size scaling to give you a sense of size distancing on the Aquatica 7200 housing if it would help you.

I just set the system up about 2 months ago and was extremely happy with it overall. One of the nice things with the Aquatica housing is if you decide to swap strobe systems at some point the bulkheads are interchangeable (e.g. you can get it swapped to Nikonos or a mix at a later date).

The video I shot was mostly second thought on the trip as had a couple situations where the stills just didn't do what I was seeing justice and even the unlit video in shallow water got the memory perspective. Have thought about getting a Y splitter arm leg so I can rig video lights to the system at a later date so I can mix during a single dive between stills and video but that will have to wait until the toy budget recovers from the initial setup.

Sponsors

Advertisements