Sign in to follow this  
mfrymus

FF - Is a 16mm fisheye wide enough?

Going Full Frame soon, and I'm debating whether the Sony 28mm f/2.0 with the 16mm fisheye converter is going to be a wide enough lens.

It is a prime lens, which Im honestly not a big fan of.

I prefer the flexibility with zooms.

The only other option I see is a Canon 8-15mm, but i don't think it will be really usable as it will vignette on most focal lengths.

There are crop sensor wide angle lenses, like the 10-18, but still, only about 12-17mm of usable area.

So, if I do stick with the 16mm fisheye, will this be wide enough?

Or would I be better off getting the Canon fisheye or another wide rectilinear lens?

Hi mfrymus

I'm sure someone can advise on the Sony 28mm/16mm convertor for you, but for many here the standard go-to fisheye for a full frame sensor is the Sigma 15mm.

I've had mine for about 18 months on a Nikon D800 and am really happy with it. Worth a look if you decide to move from the 28mm combination.

I thought I'd miss the 10-17 when I went FF, I even tried it with a 1.4 TC on my 5dmk3. Looking at the images, most were shot with the lens racked back to 12 (any wider and the dome appeared in the image), so now, I shoot the Sigma 15mm with my 5dsr. Next week, I'll be taking the Sony A7r2 with the 28mm with Fisheye adapter to the Philippines. I'll also have the Metabones adapter with the Sigma 15. You can't get wider than 180 degree diagonal without going to the Canon 8-15. Your other option is the Canon 11-24 but that's less wide than a 15 fish.

S.

I also have the Sigma 15mm on FX (Nikon D810), and really am impressed with it. Works well behind a 170mm Zen glass dome with no extension (Nauticam housing) and works with a Kenko 1.4x tc and 20mm extension ring.

Going Full Frame soon, and I'm debating whether the Sony 28mm f/2.0 with the 16mm fisheye converter is going to be a wide enough lens.

If you go Nauticam this 28 mm works with the Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens for a semi-fisheye view of about 130 degrees.

P1280256.JPG

Edited by EspenB

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements