Alex_Mustard

My New Book: Underwater Photography Masterclass

I received the book last Thursday (31-03). I have not yet finished the first chapter, but I must say I like it so far. It is written in a way that is is understandable for non native speakers (or readers in this case). I am looking forward to read the rest in the coming weeks or so. Just need to find the time for it.

dear sir...

i ordered the book around 31 march 2016.. any estimate shipping date? :) looking forward to it...

The official release date is tomorrow (7th April) for the UK only. With other countries coming in the months after that. Amazon.com (for the USA) lists the book going on sale on 1st October. I don't know where that date has come from. I will investigate with the publisher once I have done more signing.

I received a large delivery of books that I have bought on Monday. It is not enough for all my pre-orders - but I am pressuring the publisher for more copies.

For the books ordered from me, I am working through the pre-orders in chronological order and sending them out around the world. Many people have asked for dedication messages - and it takes time to write these and then pack and post the orders. Right now I have just signed my 400th book.

I am currently up to orders placed on the 5th March - although the number of orders per day is much lower through March than the peak when the book was (accidentally) announced on 29th February! So hopefully I will reach your order in the next few days. Although if I do not receive more books from the publisher I may be delayed further.

The book has sold better than expected - for which I am grateful. My original order for books was 400 copies for me to sign and sell. I have had to reorder more books two times already. There is also a strong demand from book sellers, which is why I was forced to wait until Monday 4th April to receive my first sizeable order of books, because the warehouse was out of stock.

I email everyone when I have sent their order. The first orders I sent are now starting to reach people in all parts of the world.

Alex

I placed my order on the 2nd of March, and no email or delivery yet (to Sweden). Really looking forward to receiving this book!

Hi Freddie - yours sent yesterday - I sent the book - but I have not done the 100+ "I have sent your book emails” - next on the to do list.

From previous books delivery time to Sweden seems about 5 working days.

Alex

p.s. I am sending those emails now - and for some of the Brits on the list they are getting the shipping email after the book arrives. Whoops. But I think people would rather I prioritised sending the books.

And now the email has arrived! I'm like a kid on christmas eve... Can't wait.

Thanks Alex!

Edited by freddie1974

Congratulations, again!

It is a great time for underwater photography...

... I no longer clutter up diveboats with ridiculous machines from Hong Kong, and no longer stir up dive sites with the backwash from funny American fins!

I'm tempted to buy a copy, anyway...

Thanks Tim,

I know that you'd enjoy reading it. Even though you don't need to get a copy.

Alex

The book arrived in the mail yesterday! Unfortunately I didn´t get much sleep. Was up reading till three in the morning...

Not much of value is going to be done at work today... ;-)

Great book!

Fredrik

I received my copy today, all the way from the UK to the Philippines just 6 days after ordering. Amazing, considering that Amazon orders from the USA take about 3 weeks. Thanks for the book, looking forward to digging into it over the weekend!

That's impressive. The shipping is working for most people. I have sent out 800 and a just a couple have gone missing or picked up minor damage. The rest are turning up in quickly for people. Alex

I don't understand what's going on with Amazon US. I pre-ordered the book on March 5th for $17.25 + shipping ($23.27 total). Current pre-order price is $27.04 + shipping, with delivery sometime after October 1st. On April 8th I ordered the book from Amazon UK for 16.58 GBP + 6.98 GBP shipping, total USD $34.44. (That's pretty close to what the current US price is) Today, I received the book from Amazon UK. So for those of you still waiting, there is an alternate path.

Now, I can't wait to start reading!!!

Bob W

• Like 1

I just want to say what a fantastic book Alex has created. This weekend (April 23 - 24), here in South Florida, there is an event called The Blue Wild - Ocean Adventure Expo - "For People In and On the Water". It is, and has been, a show focused on mainly Spearfishing, but over the years the organizer has tried to expand it to be more appealing in a broader sense. Exhibitors have been added, with in water demos, for kayaks, stand-up-paddleboards, marine art, dive equipment, and so on. This year's show included a photo/video contest. The divisions being 'wide angle', 'macro', and 'video'. Entries for the contest closed last Sunday, April 17.

From the previous post, you can see that I received my copy of Alex's book on Wednesday, April 20, and began my learning adventure. Well, this book is so good, and so powerful, that I managed to win 1st Place in the Macro division of the Blue Wild Photo Contest. WOW, what a book!! It's really a must have, and there's no telling what it can do for you.

Bob W

PS - the above is a little tongue-in-cheek, but the book is good, and I really did win. Thanks Alex! :clapping:

Edited by Bob_W

As a thank you to those who have bought my book, or will buy it in the future, I have shared two Tutorial Talks that cover lighting with strobes in underwater photography.

They cover the same philosophy and some of the techniques covered in the book. The aim of the talks is to present this material in a different way, to add something to the book. The talks have less detail on how to do the techniques, but they present an overview of how these techniques fit together to produce a way to think about light and lighting underwater that is covered in the book.

The videos are quite long (45 mins and 33 mins) and recorded live in London at a meeting of the British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP)! If you log into Vimeo they can also be downloaded to be watched later/in the field.

The videos are password protected, the passwords are random words from the book (directions to find out which word are on the linked page below the videos).

You can check them out here:

http://underwaterphotographybook.com/free-masterclass-tutorial

Alex

I watched the two vids. They are a brilliant way to expand the content of your book. These two alone might be worth as many pages as the book itself given the full screen view of pix that each would require a two-page spread! Obviously a lot of work went into creating the material - such as showing step by variations of lighting as well as diagrams and pix showing you in action.

Very well done!

Tom

Thanks Alex,

Am off to Raja and Ambon next week. Will watch these before the trip.

Much appreciated. And will post comments post my return.

Diggy

Edited by diggy

Well I haven't suddenly started winning photo competitions but I did spend several happy hours practicing macro lighting on a mushroom on the dinning table.

A well written book, clear and to the point.

S

I had the book on order from Amazon for about six weeks, but I had to cancel. It does not look they were going to get it to me before I depart on my summer trip and I don't see how having it lay on my door step for eight weeks will improve it.

Had the same problem.

Bought it from a UK seller on eBay. Hope this doesn't violate anything Alex but I'm sure glad I didn't have to wait any longer for the book.

Great stuff!

I´ve read the first 30 pages now and even though I´m still in the introduction I can say this is an awesome book! For me as a brutal beginner, who hasn´t had one dive with my camera gear, just snorkeling around trying to do some

macro while snorkeling an free diving, this book is perfect! There´s a whole lot of work to do if I want to make some good shots in the near future but this book is a great tutorial for getting on the right way. Thanks for that!

And thank you very much for the video special, really appreciate that!

For everybody waiting to get a copy of Alex's book, you can order it from Amazon.co.uk and get it in 1 - 2 weeks. You don't have to wait for Amazon US to get their act together. The cost, including shipping, is $32.80 (USD). If Amazon US ever gets around to shipping it, the cost will be $30.80 (USD), including shipping. For $2.00, why wait??? Get it today!!!

I pre-ordered the book from Amazon US back in March. I'm still waiting on that order. In the meantime, I got a copy from Amazon UK.

Don't wait.....Get yours!!!

Bob W

• Like 1

I have been enjoying my copy for several weeks now. It has been assigned to my preferred reading room, in that special spot on the back of The Throne.

It's terrific reference piece with some great ideas for experienced photographers who are no longer satisfied with just shooting images that "turn out". Whether it's creative approaches to lighting or tips on shooting super-macro, there's a little something for everyone.

It is money well spent I assure you!

Stu

www.wetspotimages.com

Edited by Stoo

Sponsors

Advertisements