Hello there, I did a search for this topic and couldn't find much, so here goes....

I recently purchased a macro diopter with a flip adapter. What is the usual method for attaching and removing the lens? Do you enter/ exit the water with the lens attached, or attach it there? It seems like screwing/ unscrewing the lens in the water could result in it taking a trip to the bottom. Conversely, it seems like handing your rig up to the boat with the lens still attached could result in damage. I'm sure there are different strategies out there, just wondering what people do. Thanks

Leave the lens screwed into the flip adapter and flip the lens into the most secure position. I have used both swing away and rotate away holders. Same rules apply.

A screwed in lens is FIRMLY attached and cannot be lost. I leave the cover on my Subsee lens and jam the cover into my BCD pocket once underwater. I replace the cover before surfacing.

Yeah, definitely leave it in the adapter the whole time you're diving. I take my SMC out of the flip adapter and rinse after the day of diving so it doesn't get stuck.

Yep! I agree with James and giffenk. I do the same.

Thanks for the responses. My lens didn't come with a cover, but it sounds like if I can find one that I could put on before handing my camera up to the boat I should be in good shape

Yeah, it should be easy to find something to fit

I use one that rotates/swings in. What I do is rotate it to the point where the holder will press up against the metal surround of the port rather than the port glass if the wet lens and mount is pushed in. Then for protection, I just use a "hood hat". These are neoprene "cups" for lack of a better description. They come in a ton of sizes and are cheap. They are used to slip over the end of an SLR lens hood so you don't have to keep futzing with the lens cap. You just need to find the right size.

N.B. They are also great for their intended purpose.

Sponsors

Advertisements