SCUBA Hank

Is anyone using a Pelican 'Carry On' Case for a DSLR?

Hello All,

Are any of you using a Pelican Hard Case for you DSLR Setup?

I am really hoping to find a Carry On size Pelican Case that can fit my DSLR (Nikon D7200, Nauticam, 2 Inon Strobes, 2 video lights, arms, wires, 2 ports etc).

Is anyone able to fit this type of setup in a Pelican case without removing the handles on the Housing each and every time? If so, what Pelican Case are you using?

I'd really rather not have to check my camera gear.

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hank

scubahank@gmail.com

You could probably get away with it for domestic flights, but a lot of international carriers are enforcing a 7kg limit for carry-on bags -- some are very strict about it, some weigh them sometimes, and others rarely. I think it depends on the airline and the mood of the person you run into checking in as well as what class you are sitting in (I have had one carrier not weigh any carry on bags when we had business award tickets and weighed everything when we flew in economy as an example).

Yep, been using a Pelican 1510 for years as cabin baggage with no problems - even on budget and charter flights.

It's never taken any of my Subal housings though with the handles in place. But then they're very easy to remove.

1510 seems to be the size most people I know have for carry-on.

Tim, you haven't had it weighed with all that stuff in it? Lucky!

1510 seems to be the size most people I know have for carry-on.

Tim, you haven't had it weighed with all that stuff in it? Lucky!

So far. so good, James.... Yep, it sure weighs a lot. As you well know, the case alone is approaching the 7kg weight limit.

Although they are heavy, they don't look bulky which, maybe, is the saving grace. They look quite slim compared to many regular carry-ons that people bring into the cabin.

We have been using Manfrotto Veloce soft camera bags for years for aircraft carry on. They are lightweight, can carry camera, housing, ports, strobes etc and are around the carry on weight. My wife works for an airline and they do weigh carry on bags so beware if it's overweight.

post-50926-0-21622700-1457442142_thumb.jpeg

That looks pretty good, Griff

ScubaHank: have you had a look at the Think Tank roller bags? The Airport International and Take Off are worth a look. I don't know if they meet your handles-on criteria but they seem pretty good, cabin bag size (well the Take Off certainly is). They're not so dissimilar in weight though to Pelicans.

I have the Thinktank Airport International 2.0... it's not exactly light, as Tim says, but they are nice bags.

I loaded mine with my Nikkor 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8, two 77mm filters, and one Nikon battery charger (for D810 battery) and hit 7KG - nothing else in the bag.

Carry on weight is such a struggle, which is why I bought the big green to check as much as I can...it's around 66-67lbs, so there's baggage weight fees if not in premium cabin.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I wasn't sure anyone actually read these posts (I am new here).

I have indeed looked at the Think Tank Bags and they are nice but I really want a hard case. I am not adverse to buying a larger one and checking it but don't like the risk of not having my rig when I arrive somewhere...

The weight I think is going to be the issue I think. Although I have been all over the world numerous times and have never had anyone weigh my carry on (hope I didnt jinx myself).

Why can't I have a less gear intensive hobby? :)

Thanks All!!

Why can't I have a less gear intensive hobby? :)

Amen to that one! And, curiously, my girlfriend says the same thing...... :crazy:

I have the ThinkTank Security v2. It holds all my gear, and accepted on the airlines I fly on (BA, EasyJet, United, WizzAir) but it's too big for others.

Previously I've had (collecting dust in my store room) the Pelican 1550. But as it has no wheels it's impossible to travel with, once it's loaded with gear.

The 1510 looks nice too. But for me it just ain't big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Advertisements