Sign in to follow this  
Aleksandar

NA-EM5 + 2x Inon D2000 + 65 port or Zen 100 - too much negative buoyancy?

I have just returned from one week of diving in Maldives (12 dives in total) and my right shoulder feels the weight of this setup (I made a lot of shots using one hand only), so it seems I must make it a bit more towards neutral.

Currently, I have the following:

NA-EM5 with either macro 65 port or zen 100 dome

2x Inon D2000

4x 8" plan aluminium arms + 4 stix jumbo floats

Aluminium tray and handles

The thing anyway sinks like a brick, did not have the time to test it prior and it was my first trip with 2 strobes instead of only one.

To put it simple, what is your experience with similar setups, should I try with additional 4 jumbo floats (2 segments fit each arm perfectly) or I need to look for something bigger? Or I should just hit the gym? :)

Appreciate your comments and 2 cents. ;)

Hi,
Same housing and strobes but:
i use 5 Stix floats on 2 ULC arms and 2 Inon flaot arms M, and the setup is with the Nauticam 4,33 dome still negative, but not to much.
With the macro port and a subsee +10 sure negative....
Regards,
Wolfgang

But more stress is the transport above water if not live aboard ;-))

• Like 1

Definely, transport above water is a nice little exercise. :D

Thanks for the info, even with the dome the current setup is too negative...I will check out my options for the M float arms...

I think you are going to need two of the largest Inon (Mega M) or Nauticam Carbon arms (90mm). You might need some additional floats as well, but I am not sure.

I don't know if trimix was talking about the Inon mega M arms or the smaller M arms.

Hi,
not sure which are mine exactly! Will check that out! But think the "normal" M arms.
But, what i plan to do,
is change my setup to 4x Ulcs and 8 / 10 Stix floats.
2 Arms in my plan would have only one ball end, but a YS style end on the other side, takes away 2 clamps....
For that setup.
If i am not flying, means going to mediterian sea in summer by car, i use 2x Sea & Sea YS 250pro so i need more uplifting...
And i use sometimes my Dslr setup there as well....
Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125

I just remembered that 10bar makes some relatively inexpensive "mega" flaots as well. Optical Ocean Sales sells them in the U.S. but i am sure there are Asian and European sources as well.

I use 10 stix jumbo floats for my EM1 in a Nauticam. 3 Floats on 9" arms x2, and 2 floats on 7" arms x2. Rest of the setup is a pair of z240 / 60macro in 65 port with +5 subsee on flip holder / sola focus light. This makes this barely negative. I was really surprised how much floatation i needed. I started with 4, which did not provide any noticeable help. When I go to wide angle ports, I drop the focus lights (diopters of course), and go with just 6 floats on the 2 9" arms, and thats also only slightly negative.

• Like 1

It seems 4 Jumbo floats and only one Inon D2000 are almost positive (including a Retra Snoot), tested it today.

For my EM1 in the Nauti housing and two YS-D1 + macro port for the 60mm, two of the Nauticam 90x150 fibre float arms + 4 of the smaller jumbo floats leads to an almost neutral rig in fresh water (didnt test it in saltwater yet). The jumbo floats are attached to H2O carbon arms which are actually neutral. Before I purchased the Nauticam float arms I had 4 jumbo floats and 4 smaller jumbo floats and the rig was still negative(in saltwater). If i add the cmc with flip adapter, I still have the 4 regular jumbos to get it neutral, if its getting to negative.

Edited by simon87

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements