TimG

Uwatec Luna, dive logs, downloads and Dive Log DT

I'm fed up messing about with the glacially slow Scubapro/Uwatec SmartTrak running on my Mac under VMWare (the Smart Trak J for Mac is even more horrible).

After a Google search I came across Dive Log DT which appears to be able to download from the Uwatec Luna and runs under Mac OSX.

Does anyone use this and what do they think? Were you able to transfer an existing SmartTrak database of dives into Dive Log DT?

After years of trying to sort out SmartTrak/Mac it seems too good to be true that there is a solution.....

Thanks!

Tim,

I have my MacBook Pro configured with Parallels using Windows 7 and SmartTrak. It works great.

This allows me to run my Mac as a PC for SmartTrak.

Elmer

Oh right, thanks for that, Elmer.

I've got VMWare running no problem on my Mac. But the SmartTalk program is just glacial in terms of speed. It takes maybe 5-7 minutes to load up my dives (1700 of them) and editing or amending a dive record takes several minutes of computer thinking time. God knows what the problem is. I've tried reloads, version updates - all sorts.

I decided yesterday to bite the bullet and bought from the Apple Store DiveLogDT which runs on the Mac. I'd emailed the company who said if I sent them my SmartTrak data file they'd do a conversion of the data for me so I could upload it into DiveLog. It was back to me, done, within an hour! It loaded perfectly on to DiveLog - and I can now see all my data and the Uwatec will talk directly and download into DiveLogDT on my Mac OS. Wooohoooo!!

The customer service from DiveLog was fantastic. Two emails to them inside a couple of hours received very helpful and fast replies - and, as I say, the data conversion was back to me in inside an hour. And all for £18.99. And, get this, there is an iPhone/iPad iOS version which will sync all over the place. Even for me that may be a bit über-nerdy, but hey, the concept......

So, I'm hoping, farewell VMWare and SmartTrak.

Tim,

Let me know how this program works out for you. Will it allow you to sync your Luna, change algorithms, ppO2 levels, etc?

Elmer

That I don't know yet, Elmer - not had chance to run it through the IrDA connection yet and play with it in great detail. But will report further.....

Most of the functions I have seen so far replicate SmartTrak in one form or another.

On 3/18/2016 at 11:19 PM, TimG said:

That I don't know yet, Elmer - not had chance to run it through the IrDA connection yet and play with it in great detail. But will report further.....

Most of the functions I have seen so far replicate SmartTrak in one form or another.

Did you report an update?

Thanks,

Hey Bob

No, sorry, I haven’t. 

i don’t use some of the functions that Elmer mentioned. What the software does well is allow the logging and cataloging of uploaded dives from the Luna/Sol not a searchable database which can the be manipulated.  The interface is attractive, easy to use and flexible. It’s got a Statistics function which will tally dives by categories, time, depth etc. It’ll record equipment used, style/type of dive, temperatures, weights, wetsuit used - all sorts of details. 

in short it’ll manipulate any data coming off the dive computer or the sorts of things you often add on a dive log. 

i can’t see that you can change any of the settings through it on the dive computer. For me this is no big deal. I pretty much only change things which can be done directly on the computer itself: time zone, O2 settings etc. 

I’ve  used it for every dive trip now since getting it in 2016 and really like it. Easy to use, reliable, Mac-like in appearance, periodic updates. nothing really not to like!

35 minutes ago, TimG said:

Hey Bob

No, sorry, I haven’t. 

i don’t use some of the functions that Elmer mentioned. What the software does well is allow the logging and cataloging of uploaded dives from the Luna/Sol not a searchable database which can the be manipulated.  The interface is attractive, easy to use and flexible. It’s got a Statistics function which will tally dives by categories, time, depth etc. It’ll record equipment used, style/type of dive, temperatures, weights, wetsuit used - all sorts of details. 

in short it’ll manipulate any data coming off the dive computer or the sorts of things you often add on a dive log. 

i can’t see that you can change any of the settings through it on the dive computer. For me this is no big deal. I pretty much only change things which can be done directly on the computer itself: time zone, O2 settings etc. 

I’ve  used it for every dive trip now since getting it in 2016 and really like it. Easy to use, reliable, Mac-like in appearance, periodic updates. nothing really not to like!

Thanks Tim,

I downloaded the free Dive Log Manager app years ago, but never used it as it was not intuitive ... for me.  Just been hand entering data as always. 

Recently, a friend was telling me how much he liked MacDive, so I decided to look into both .  However, there's a woman at Dive Log tech that has been exceedingly helpful.  Today I ordered a dongle and hope to set this up before a long trip, that start next weekend.

Hope it works.  If not I have a coupe of log books!  Ha!

I have been happy with Parallels using Windows 7 and SmartTrak.

But Parallels has gone to a yearly fee for an updated version if I upgrade to macOS Catalina.

I will look into DiveLog

Elmer

Yeah, as I said, I gave up using a Windows program on a Mac. It was ok but extra faff and another software package to manage or pay for. And so many features of the Uwatec software were buggy. 

As I found and Bob too, the folks at DiveLog are really helpful and very quick to respond. And the software just works. More than you could say for the Uwatec version!

Sponsors

Advertisements