Sign in to follow this  
dustin

Aperature dial not spinning in housing

I have a d70 and an Ikelite housing, I just got it on Friday and I had it in the pool for a few hours today. Sometimes the aperature dial in front of the shutter button doesnt contact the rubber dial spinner in the housing properly.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. I tried to reseat the camera in the housing a few times and it still happens. I found that If I press down firmly on the AE-L/AF-L button on the ikelte housing it will push the camera forward just enough for the dial to rotate again. Its almost as if it needs another 1/64" of rubber on the spinner part.

I probably should email ikelite directly but I was hoping for a quick answer from you guys since I plan on hitting the pool again tonight.

Thanks

Tweak the right side of the camera fwd when tightening the tripod screw.

James (from offshore)

I have sometimes had a similar problem with my D100/Nexus housing setup. Usually, though, it's the rear wheel (shutter speed) that won't contact. I've found James' solution pretty effective...in reverse: I tweak the right side back as I tighten the tripod mounting screw. The shutter speed dial then usually makes contact, and the aperture wheel remains functional. I check topside that everything is working, and if there is a problem, I open 'er up and adjust until it's okay.

Do you think i could add in something to space it further out. I was thinking the best thing would be an extra one of the plastic covers that is on the end of some of the controls. I just need to find something like that to try.

I had the same problem with my D70/Ikelite housing once.

Basically it was as James said.

I didn't have the camera tightened in the tripod base. I was excited to try the whole thing out (not on a dive) and didn't use a screwdriver to tighten the tripod screw. Make sure this is tight. The buttons won't contact right if it is not and not adjusted straight from side to side.

Test everything before you get wet.

Even after cranking it down pretty hard it started to slip away in the pool yesterday.

When I got home I took a piece of the rubber sticky tape that comes with the lens clamp and made one round on the black plastic peg cover that is on the right side behind the camera. I think it will push it just far enough forward that I wont have to worry about it again. I should be in the pool with it again today and I will see if it works.

My aperture control started slipping also...I played with queaking the camera on the tray, but didn't like the arbitrary nature of that fix....

I unscrewed the gear wheel out of the housing and bought some #3 stainless steel mini flat washers and stacked them between the gear and the housing until I could tell they pushed the gear out a tiny amount more than what it had been....maybe 1/32"....mine took 6 washers.....they are very small.....

Works great :D and I didn't end up putting pressure on the camera where is didn't belong....

Karl

Hmm, im not sure if I will have time to get the parts for that fix. I leave for the Marshall Islands on Sunday. I just got my 5505 port for my macro lens today, I will have a chance to test my quick fix with the tape tomorrow night in the pool.

Dustin........this took 5 minutes to do once I had the washers.....I got mine at Lowe's, but any good hardware store would have them

Karl

Ok, that sounds easy then. I thought you were using a hard to find washer. When you said 6 of them stacked to 1/32 I envisioned something paper thin.

Once you unscrew the gear from the housing, you'll see where the washers go behind the gear....it makes the whole assembly work smoother since the gear isn't spinning against the housing

Have a great trip to the Marshall Islands....

Karl

I just put in 6 #2 washers. I tried 7 first but it seemed too tight. I am gonna hit the pool again tonight and see how it works.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements