Storker

Image pricing?

Today I logged in to flickr and found a mail asking about using one of my pictures for marketing since it showed a species of seaweed that one of the company's products is based on. I checked the company (pretty easy, since the email address was on the company's domain), and although I don't much believe in the product they're not running a total snake oil scheme scamming money out of poor and/or sick people. So, I don't have any serious ethical objections to them using my picture to sell stuff.

What I don't have the slightest idea about is what's "normal" pricing for this kind of stuff. From the company's domain name, it's located in the UK in case that affects pricing. I'm thinking about reserving my copyright and only allowing use for a specific purpose, with other use to be re-negotiated, so that will probably also affect the pricing.

So, given those constraints, what would be a decent price and/or starting point for haggling price?

BTW, this is the picture:

8570341134_7a9077f41b.jpg

Have a look at Alamy.com and click on any photo. Then type in the potential use that this company has for your photo by clicking the different categories etc and it will produce a price for you

Thanks, that was really helpful!

It turned out they wanted extensive use (magazine ads, own website, social media, so something worth in the order of 150€ according to alamy.com) and were offering only being credited with the image. So they basically wanted free advertisement material. And they claimed that other photogs already had accepted that "offer".

I turned it down...

Edited by Storker

Good job, turning down that offer is best

Good call, Storker!

Cheeky devils.

Cheeky devils.

Yup. I was rather polite in my reply, though, and managed to avoid asking them to send me a large package of their product, free of charge, but I'd promise to tell all my friends about where I'd gotten the stuff from. Even if I was quite tempted...

You see that kind of tactic more and more, and it riles me up ever so slightly. There are some good photogs out there trying to make a living, and giving decent stuff away for free is basically depriving them of their income. I have no problems if one of my pics could beat the pro on quality; any pro needs competition to stay sharp. Non-profit I'm fine with; I've taken quite a few pics for my kids' sports club and only asked to be credited. I'm happy with that, since they're a non-profit organization and just can't afford a pro. OTOH, if someone wants to use my stuff to make money for themself, I want a piece of the cake.

Somewhat related joke:

Band+member+responds+to+restaurants+requ

• Like 1

Brilliant response! LOL....

Sponsors

Advertisements