hellhole

snoot: on light or on strobe

hey guys,

i am trying to add a snoot setup.

i have a rx100mk2 recsea with 2 x z240 and a separate focus light.

I can attached the snoot to either one of the strobe or on the focus light. which one should i go for?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of having it on either system?

of course the shutter speed will be much lower on the focus light. i can make do with that as the subject will most likely be not moving.

You would need a VERY powerful focus light to be useful shooting through a snoot. I DO use the modeling light on my strobe as an aiming tool for the strobe.

You would need a VERY powerful focus light to be useful shooting through a snoot. I DO use the modeling light on my strobe as an aiming tool for the strobe.

well.. my focus light can out put 250-100lumens....i guess that should be enough...

Not even close IMHO. You would be very limited by the low output. I would suggest comparing both.

Not even close IMHO. You would be very limited by the low output. I would suggest comparing both.

Okay. I guess this is the reason for this thread. So how much output is needed? And why do I need such a high output?

How slow does your shutter speed have to be to see your focus light in the image? Can you achieve a black background at that shutter speed?

How slow does your shutter speed have to be to see your focus light in the image? Can you achieve a black background at that shutter speed?

I did try on anothet set up of 300lumen. Shutter speed was around 1/30 with f9 and iso100.

I still trying to see what pro and con I have. Other then shutter speed...

The main CON is that you will always be shooting within a very narrow (and in some situations non-existent) exposure range which will have your subject adequately exposed, while giving you a very dark underexposure outside of your area of illumination. It may work ok in very low ambient light conditions, but you will certainly be limiting yourself in conditions where the ambient light is brighter.

The main CON is that you will always be shooting within a very narrow (and in some situations non-existent) exposure range which will have your subject adequately exposed, while giving you a very dark underexposure outside of your area of illumination. It may work ok in very low ambient light conditions, but you will certainly be limiting yourself in conditions where the ambient light is brighter.

Wow...I was lost somewhere after "main CON" .. Sorry.. Is it possible to 'dumb' it down a little

From what I can understand... With any strobe or light, it does not really matter if you have Low ambient light condition as you light source (strobe /light) is compensating that part of it.

But for snoot... We want a black background with the light source only concentrate on the small point of the subject. Ie. Nudi's rhinophores or gills.

Don't consider it needing to be "dumbed down" , we all started somewhere :) . To get the dark background, you need the brightness of the snoot light to overwhelm the ambient light conditions, so that when your camera is set up to properly expose your subject, the background looks very dark. In conditions where the ambient light is bright, the snoot output must be very powerful.

Don't consider it needing to be "dumbed down" , we all started somewhere :) . To get the dark background, you need the brightness of the snoot light to overwhelm the ambient light conditions, so that when your camera is set up to properly expose your subject, the background looks very dark. In conditions where the ambient light is bright, the snoot output must be very powerful.

Okay. I get what you mean.

Coming from my rx100mk2 set up. If I am shooting at f11 with 1/250. It really quite dark even with natural light source...

Okay. Maybe I slight change my question.

In terms of effect wise. Will the light snoot turn out very different from the strobe snoot? Is the difference the intensity of the light source on the subject?

Yes, the z240 will produce a much more intense cone of illumination.. "Cone of illumination" sounds like something out of a SciFi novel :)

Sponsors

Advertisements