GrtDay

Which AA rechargable batteries should I buy?

I'm looking to move into rechargable batteries for my Sea and Sea YS-D2 and Nikon SD-N10 strobes. Each take 4 AA batteries.

I',ve never had much success with the battery life of the rechargables, but taking a couple of dozen batteries on a dive trip SUX.

So...who has had great successes with what brand, what amperage size, and where to buy them?

I already have an Anmann 8 & 16 cell charger so just looking for the batteries.

All right experts, let me know!

Eneloops. Hold their charge better. I have 2 sets for each strobe, charge the non used one during diving.

Yep. Some will argue that the Eneloop "pro" version (about 2500 mAh) are necessary but I use the regular version (2100 mAh) and can easily get through 2 dives on one set of batteries in my strobes and focus light. Eneloops hold a charge for months by the way. I've been using the same set for about 3 years with no apparent decline in performance. They regularly go on sale at Amazon but the normal price is pretty reasonable considering that they pretty much pay for themselves on one trip.

BTW I also really like Maha "smart" chargers. They allow a soft charge (slower and cooler) as well as a full recondition cycle.

+ 1 on the Eneloops and Maha!

Most of the current rechargeable batteries available today are based on the same tech as used in Eneloops.

So don't discount Energizers etc.

I personally use regular Eneloops and have gotten 4 dives out of them before in YS-D1 and YS-D2 strobes albeit not shooting super heavily (I typically swap after about 150-200 shots in general).

I would slightly disagree that most rechargeable batteries you can buy are low internal discharge (eneloop type), there are tons of regular NIMH batteries out there. In my hands with a computerized battery discharge tester regular eneloops did better than the eneloop pro batteries for strobes (not for constant current devices like torches or camera backs).

Bill

Sponsors

Advertisements