Hi, i would like to use a nikkor 20mm f1.8 g with a 9'' dome. I don't find many reports or reviews of this configuration. Do you know any downsides?
Do you use extension rings?
Do you know if Sea & Sea M77 Internal Correction lens could help with this lens?

Thank you

• Like 1

I have used this lens with a d810, nauticam housing and zen 170mm and 230 domes. I used a 30mm extension ring no diopter needed. Love it with my 170mm dome Tack sharp! My go to UW wide angle rectilinear lens

Edited by Gary.Makai

Thank you very much for your replies and advice. I'll use the lens on a d800 body. I was thinking what the ideal f-stop would be to achieve the best compromise between diffraction and depth of field. I hope i could use a little wider apertures using the Sea & Sea corrector

I've wondered how that lens and the Sigma 20 1.4 ART work underwater.

I've used my older Nikon 20mm 2.8D with pretty good results, especially with video, with my D810. It doesn't seem to need any extension, which is nice.

Thank you very much for your replies and advice. I'll use the lens on a d800 body. I was thinking what the ideal f-stop would be to achieve the best compromise between diffraction and depth of field. I hope i could use a little wider apertures using the Sea & Sea corrector

Ideally f/13. However, if you are incorporating a beautiful sunburst in your shot - the lack of f/22 is a severe limitation.

Alex

The Nikon 20 2.8D has a min aperture of F22 and minimum focus distance of 0.85 ft. ( 0.25 m). I will probably try it some more, even though I have the Sigma 15 FE and Nikon 16-35. I am a bit surprised more people don't use it. It's small, pretty light, and seems to be pretty sharp.

For sure the sigma 20mm 1.4 art should be an interesting lens on land but it cannot take any regular screw-on filters.
I appreciate your advice on the minimum aperture. I've a lot to learn... My other choice for wa would be the Sigma 15mm fisheye. It supports f22 as minimum aperture.

Thank you all!

For sure the sigma 20mm 1.4 art should be an interesting lens on land but it cannot take any regular screw-on filters.

I appreciate your advice on the minimum aperture. I've a lot to learn... My other choice for wa would be the Sigma 15mm fisheye. It supports f22 as minimum aperture.

Thank you all!

The Sigma 15mm is a very popular choice for FX users. It's pretty much the only thing I use on my D800 for wide-angle. I can recommend that one!

The Nikon 20 2.8D has a min aperture of F22 and minimum focus distance of 0.85 ft. ( 0.25 m). I will probably try it some more, even though I have the Sigma 15 FE and Nikon 16-35. I am a bit surprised more people don't use it. It's small, pretty light, and seems to be pretty sharp.

James,

I was wondering if you had a chance to test the 20mm 2.8D a bit more...

I am considering acquiring a housing for my NikonD750 and was hoping that I could use my 20mm 2.8 for wide angle. I have read mixed reviews and have yet to confirm that Nauticam's ports are compatible with that lens, but if I can avoid ALSO buying a lens at this point, it would be awesome.

Would love to hear what you've thought of it so far.

Thanks!

Repeating one of the OP's questions that didn't get answered, has anyone ever tried the Sea and Sea correction lens with the Nikon 20mm 1.8?  Lots of positive reports with the 16-35mm but I'm curious about this specific combination, wondering if there are similar gains with the 20mm.

I am not sure if it is available in anything other than 77mm thread.

The Nikon 20/1.8 is a 77mm thread.  But yes the S&S correction lens is also available in 82mm.

The Sea & Sea correction lens is available in 82mm and 77mm thread sizes. I have used the 82mm with the Nikon Z 14-30mm F/4 which is 82mm using the Nikon Z6. I have also used the 77mm with Sony A7-cameras using the Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 which is 77mm and the Sony 16-35mm F/4 which has a 72mm thread size. With the Sony zoom lens I used a 77/72mm step-up ring. I also own the Sony 20mm F1.8 but the thread size is 67mm and a 10mm jump may defeat the purpose of the S&S  lens.

All three of these lenses I would shoot at F/13 and above if possible on full frame. Assuming the lenses are fitted with the proper dome size my results have added about 1-2 stops of like corner sharpness on full frame v. not using the S&S  lens. 

S&S list both the 82mm and 77mm lenses as suited to the 240mm/230mm NEW 210/AR and 165 port II.  I used the Nikon 14-30mm with a mini port (about 152mm) the type cut from a larger radius dome and the results were awful. While the subject in the center of the frame was tack sharp about two-thirds of the frame was soft.

All of the lenses listed in the S&S compatibility chart are zooms but my results with the fitted 18mm lens were the same. 

If used with a larger (200mm plus) sized port expect a stop or two better results depending on your equipment. 

I would add that the S&S correction lenses while providing an improvement are not going to come close to the results you can get with water contact optics like the Nikonos RS 13mm Fisheye, WACP I/II or others.

My mistake - thought the Nikon 20mm was 72mm. I sold mine as I found it annoying not to have the option of shooting at f/22.  

It is important to reiterate that the Sea&Sea correction lenses are specific to lenses and dome ports...do they work with other combinations? Perhaps. The only way of knowing whether they will help is by testing the specific lens and dome port combination.

In an ideal scenario, they will get you 2 stops, so if the combination normally offers acceptably sharp corners at f/13, you might be able to use f/11.

The Nikon 20mm f1.8 is tested here: https://wetpixel.com/articles/review-nikon-fx-wide-angle-lenses

Adam

As Adam points out the Sea & Sea  correction lenses page lists some of the lenses that are supported. That page also omits some lenses like the Sony 16-35mm F/2.8 and Nikon Z 14-30mm F/4. If you go to the port charts for those cameras and lenses they indicate compatibility with the correction lenses.

I ask Sea & Sea about the possibility of a 72mm corrective to accommodate the much more frequently used Sony 16-35mm F/4 and was advised that is not in the cards at this time. As a result I have used the 77mm with the step-up ring. I have tested the lenses with the Ikelite eight inch compact done (not eight inches in diameter.), Nauticam 180mm dome and Zen 170mm and 230mm domes. As you would expect the larger dome port diameter the better the results assuming the proper port extension is in use. I used all manufactures recommended port extensions both with and without the corrective lenses for comparisons to conclude the one to two stop advantage on full frame. 

6 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

It is important to reiterate that the Sea&Sea correction lenses are specific to lenses and dome ports...do they work with other combinations, perhaps. T only way of knowing whether they will help is by testing the specific lens and dome port combination.

Exactly why I bumped this thread, to ask if anyone had experience with this specific pairing.  So far no, but it seems from Phil's quite broad testing that a small but real improvement could be expected with the 20/1.8 prime.  I understand that it won't compare to water contact options (which are not options for me anyway due to cost an compatibility) but it also sounds like it punches above its weight class for the price.  And those small gains may occupy a sweet spot, if it pushes the middle apertures into useable territory.  I would still love to hear from (if) anyone who has tried this correction lens on the 20/1.8 though!

Sponsors

Advertisements