sluggo

travel question, can I put my arms for my strobes in the carry on

or do they have to go into my check thru?? I don't know and I am getting ready to pack. The last thing I need is to check in, give them my check thru bag, try to go thru security with the arms, and then they say, Hey you can't have those things in your carry on , they have to be in check thru!! TIA

Hey sluggo

As the amount of kit I move seems to grow larger and larger, I now pack my housing arms in my checked baggage. But I used to carry them in my Pelican case as a roll-on into the cabin. I never had a problem.

There's so many weird looking things, I'd have thought arms would be the least of the problems!

Have a great trip

No worries (at least at LAX International). I have carried arms in my backpack many times but allen wrenches get flagged half the time. On our latest trip to Indonesia, the screening guy asked was my housing Nauticam (it isn't) just from looking at the x-rays.

Bill

I have carried my arms and clamps on a couple times, but don't any more - moving from the RX100 (when i carried it all on) to DSLR system means that stuff and a lot more gets checked now.

I have had the following taken from carry on: zip ties, allen wrenches (the small set that comes with Nauticam housings), 12mm wrench, and a couple AA batteries - all taken leaving Mexico.

Long aluminum arms could be considered a weapon by security so i don't carry my arms in the carry on. Tools also are not allowed

I have taken eight 8 inch arms in carry-ons for two systems from the US around the world by air and have never had a problem.

Elmer

I have never had a problem with all my camera, housing, strobes, arms, and even allen wrenches. They may inspect them by hand, but once they see it is underwater photo equipment they usually just swab test it for explosive residue and let you go on. Just be nice and patient and tell them how nice their uniforms look. :)

• Like 1

I had no problems with my DSLR housing. Generally arms are OK. But some custom staff of South Asian or African countries will possibly make troubles because they ask for money.

I I just don't undertand why arms, big wired housing and strobes are OK, but a small nut wrench for my equipements is not allowed on borad!!!!

if they ever have a issue with strobe arms, then all metal canes should be taken away from little old ladies.

if they ever have a issue with strobe arms, then all metal canes should be taken away from little old ladies.

You're assuming that the system is based on logic.

Much to learn you have, young Padawan.

• Like 1

fwiw, I put them in my check through, it wasn't worth the chance to me. the other thing I changed was, to stop worrying about the $40 additional fee for a second bag, (the first is $25 on AA). I figure if I am going somewhere nice, and I cant afford the extra $80 bucks, I probably shouldn't go. Made packing much less stressful!!

Sponsors

Advertisements