ChrisBergermann

RX100 ii vs. RX100 iV / V

Hi there, I am looking for advise. (We are planning a trip to RajaAmpat & Lembeh end of the year)
My wife wants to improve her macro videography. Until now she is filming with a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition + Backscatter MacroMate mini on a tripod. But with this setup, the DOF is really really shallow and if the subjects just moves a little back or forth, its out of focus.

So We are now thinking, that it might be "easier" to go with a RX100, since this camera can focus a bigger range then the GoPro.
Sony hast put now mark 4/5 on the market, but what i read is that the Mk2 is still the better choice for videography because of the longer (100mm vs 70mm) lens? especially in macroVideography..

And if she changes to the new setup, closeup/wideangle wet lenses will be necessary? or is closeup enough an the wide-angle is enough from the camera?

are our thoughts right/wrong? any ideas?

thanks a lot already for your helpful answers, u guys helped a lot myself in choosing my OMD + Nauticam :P very very happy with it!!!

I have been to Raja with a Mark II some years ago

Other video on my channel

In general Raja Ampat is walls and doing macro is very hard. The Mark II has a 100mm lens the newer model only 70 but this is 80mm on the 4K IV

You will need a full range of wet lenses whichever model you choose

You can see a 4K video I shot in Puerto Galera. The mark II gives you better options for still images the video you can see by yourself. 4K is more a consideration if you have a 4K set and if you are keen on video. For Lembeh macro you really want the Mark II longer lens and that will be fine for stills. In both places it is pretty dark and 4K is not that good at high ISO

• Like 2

ok, thanks for your help! just one more thing with the wetlenses :P

I am thinking +5 should be enough, and its much easier to handle ( and i got a +10 so we could change :P )

for wide angle, its the INON UWL-H100 28 M67 Type 2 ? wich will fit without any other things needed straight to the housing, doesn't it?

what else would you suggest?

Edited by ChrisBergermann

I recommend the bayonet mount over the M67 as practically it is very hard to take lenses off in water with the threaded version

In general Raja Ampat is walls and doing macro is very hard.

You will need a full range of wet lenses whichever model you choose

I think it depends on the trip you do and where you dive. Raja Ampat is, perhaps, best known for wide angle opportunities with its schools of fish -- not sure I'd say it is all walls. That being said, I wouldn't sell it short for macro. Several very good macro and night dive sites. I do agree that if you go with a compact camera, you want a good set of wet lenses to cover your bases.

I dont want to open a new topic just for a question so hopefully someone will see this and reply.

What is the native ISO on the Mk4?

I dont want to open a new topic just for a question so hopefully someone will see this and reply.

What is the native ISO on the Mk4?

200 is the lowest native setting, however extending it to 80/100 brings native-like real advantage (=linear behavior) in noise and dynamic range.

We will do lembeh as well!

Is 4K worth the money? To go for mk4/5?

Or is the mk2 still very good with its HD?!

mk5 is not out yet, I am wondering if it is coming this year after the Kumamoto earthquake. To bring a real punch, they have to sort out the overheating issue (quite "burning", I had problems in the red sea this february, even in the all-metal nauticam case) and show some performance achievement. Former is easy, read a mod on dpreview that (voiding your warranty) you can DIY (I'll definitely do it before the "shooting season" around christmas). Latter is tricky, the RX100iv has a state-of-art sensor with full readout, I don't expect any meaningful upgrade in <2 years.

What did you decide on?

I just bought a Sony RX-100 Mk2 with Meikon housing. I'm "upgrading" from a Sea-Life Dc1400 (video light and strobe)...

Hi there, I am looking for advise. (We are planning a trip to RajaAmpat & Lembeh end of the year)
My wife wants to improve her macro videography. Until now she is filming with a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition + Backscatter MacroMate mini on a tripod. But with this setup, the DOF is really really shallow and if the subjects just moves a little back or forth, its out of focus.

So We are now thinking, that it might be "easier" to go with a RX100, since this camera can focus a bigger range then the GoPro.
Sony hast put now mark 4/5 on the market, but what i read is that the Mk2 is still the better choice for videography because of the longer (100mm vs 70mm) lens? especially in macroVideography..

And if she changes to the new setup, closeup/wideangle wet lenses will be necessary? or is closeup enough an the wide-angle is enough from the camera?

are our thoughts right/wrong? any ideas?

thanks a lot already for your helpful answers, u guys helped a lot myself in choosing my OMD + Nauticam :P very very happy with it!!!

Sponsors

Advertisements