Hi everyone!

I'm in Cozumel, Mexico and having no luck setting up my RX100 IV (Fantasea housing) to get the strobes to fire.

I've had no lighting for 4 dives now and would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Tutorials, step by step instructions, anything appreciated!

I have a Sony RX100 IV in a Fantasea housing and 2 YS-D2 strobes.

Questions:

1) What flash setting should I use in the RX100 to get the strobes to fire? (auto, fill, front sync, rear sync?)

2) If I set the strobe to TTL, do I need to set the other dial to a setting?

3) Is there a trick to connecting the fiber optic cables? I'm wondering if I'm not connecting them correctly and that is why the strobes won't fire

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amy

I hope someone will come up with something more enligthning, but have you try setting your strobes on DS-ttl and the RX100 flash on front. That would be what I would try first (assuming the you fiber-opticaly trigger your strobe). Set your RX100 first in T mode with a speed of 1/125thand ISO at it's lowest. If your strobes are firing you can switch mode and try other settings.

Good luck!

I hope someone will come up with something more enligthning, but have you try setting your strobes on DS-ttl and the RX100 flash on front. That would be what I would try first (assuming the you fiber-opticaly trigger your strobe). Set your RX100 first in T mode with a speed of 1/125thand ISO at it's lowest. If your strobes are firing you can switch mode and try other settings.

Good luck!

Are you plugging the fo cable into the right part of the strobe? A pic of your setup would be helpful....

Amy,

I have D1s but I believe they are functionally similar to the D2s. To confirm your connections, try this: Set your camera to manual flash (not TTL) and then try to flash in both the one lightening bolt (LB) and two LB positions on the D2. This will conform if the strobe is getting a flash signal from your camera and which LB position is correct for your camera.

If the strobe isn't working in one of the two LB positions, then most likely you have a connection problem or a battery problem. Check the spot light on the D2 to make sure the batteries are charged. Do you get a ready light on the D2.

If the strobe isn't working, take the FO cable out of the D2 and look into the end as you trip the shutter. Do you see a flash of light coming through the FO cable?

This should get you started on eliminating some of the possible problems.

Make sure that you're connecting the FO cable to the port on the bottom of the D2 just in front of the ball arm connection.

Post some pics of your setup. That should help trouble shooting.

Lesson learned: Always fully assemble and test your gear before leaving home, esp. with new stuff.

Are you plugging the fo cable into the right part of the strobe? A pic of your setup would be helpful....

Amy

I don't have a DS2, my strobe is an old YS90DX and I'm using an RX100 II. Your fiber optical cable should go under your strobe in the slot that has a sensor cover (not the first one). As for setting the flash in manual on your camera to test your strobe don't loose time searching for it, there's no way to do that with your camera it's always TTL. You should set the camera flash into any of the mandatory mode (fill,front or rear). Be sure your driving mode is not on Bracket :Continous (BRK:C)

Clément

Hi,

you need to set your camera to FILL Flash and your strobes to pre-flash mode. As mentioned in earlier posts you need to connect your optic cable to a port on the strobe that has small black door.

Sponsors

Advertisements